Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS)

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Yanmar + Bobcat + Cummins + Trailer = COOL TEAM... however, I have no idea if the weight would be distributed correctly.

According to TractorData.com:

The Yanmar weighs in at 1168lbs.

According to DiggerData.com:

The Bobcat weights 4730lbs.

That comes to 5898lbs.

Ok, lets be on the safe side and round that to up 6000lbs. And I'm not sure if the weight of the Bobcat bucket is included in the weight that DiggerData.com gives. And don't forget the box blade, its not SUPER heavy since its only a 4', but it is heavy enough for sure.

Now, FORUM SAFTEY PATROLLERS:

1. I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE
2. YES, I HAVE NO CHAINS/BINDERS YET, HENCE #1
3. THE CLASS V HITCH I BOUGHT HAS NOT ARRIVED YET, ALSO HENCE #1

Anyway, I put some jack stands under the rear of the trailer for safteys sake in case it tried to lift the rear of the truck off the ground. I don't know if it would, but it was my first time loading my stuff on the trailer.

The problem is, the rear of the trailer is now resting on the jack stands.

The rear of the truck is sitting a little lower, too.

Does the weight look like it would be distributed safely, or do I need to re-think how I load the machines, if I even load both of them at all.

Thanks!

Also, if anyone sees any glaring mistakes in the pictures, saftey or otherwise that I made, PLEASE point them out, besides the obvious ones that I stated above.

P1010046-2.jpg

P1010047-2.jpg

P1010048-3.jpg

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS)
I just went out jacked up the rear of the trailer a tiny bit and pulled off the jack stands, and then decided to reverse the Bobcat all the way until it was touching the weight box of the Yanmar.

If I pick up on the front of the trailer by hand, I can make the trucks suspension go up and down, however the pintle ring doesn't come off the bottom of the hitch. I don't know if that helps at all, but I figured I'd point it out.

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #3  
Looks to be the best option to me. If you put the BobCat all the way forward and the tractor on the rear I feel it will be too much tongue weight. I think you have it as good as you are going to get it.

By the way I always leave the jack stands 2" shy of the trailer for the reason you pointed out.

Chris

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #4  
I agree with Chris. The way you have it loaded is probably the best. Tractor backed on first then bobcat pulled on forward. Like Chris said, set your jackstands about 2" under the trailer. They will take the weight when loading and once the equipment is on you should be able to remove them without jacking up the trailer. Another thing you might add is a set of swivel jackstands. Weld or bolt one on each side of the trailer then you won't have to worry about losing or moving the ones you have. I think the tongue weight should be just fine without needing a WD hitch. Chain everything down and take it for a short test ride.

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #5  
One last though is to put he box blade on the tractor and hang it off the front to move another 300# or so to the tongue and off the rear of the trailer. Or you could set it on the A Frame of the trailer with the bucket of the BobCat and a chain.

Chris

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #6  
By the way love the 4" exhaust exiting prior to the rear wheel on that truck. Or is that 5"? Had a late 90's F-150 that came like that from the factory and always like that look.

Chris

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS)
Its 6". LOL. Its so loud, but man its sounds so good. Its also fun because you can watch the coal roll out of it in the fish eye mirrors. The only problem is it gets the right rear wheel cover all sooted up.

Someone suggested loading the tractor sideways on the front, then running the bobcat almost directly over the wheels, maybe a little forward. I'm not sure if it would fit, I'm about to go measure. I'm almost a little worried that the distribution is almost too perfect and there's not enough tongue weight.

The problem with hanging the box blade over the front is the heavy duty jack is there, and the 3pt arms catch on the shaft that runs to the crank on the side of the trailer.

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #8  
because of your dually truck, i assume you can safely put the Bobcat up front of that trailer...

I would place it with the bucket facing to the rear, (just like you do in the picture) so the box blade wont slam into your neck if you ever get in a frontal crash with that combo....

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #9  
I believe the way you have it loaded in the picture is the best method. The rear of the Bobcat will weigh more than the front and thus you are shifting more weight toward the front. This is especially true if the bucket is empty. As someone else mentioned, the box blade could be on the 3 pt hang over the front of the trailer. This would be simplier and you wouldn't have the hassle of unhooking from the tractor and loading it into the skid loader bucket.

IMHO, I would forget the jack stands under the rear of the trailer. Your creating too much work. You don't have near enough weight from the Bobcat or tractor to even come close to lifting the rear of the truck - especially a dually. I use to load my Genie lift on my dovetailed, gooseneck trailer with my F250. The Genie weighed 11,600 lbs and I could remove enough weight to slide the truck forward as the 2 WD genie pushed it's way up the ramp. I just blocked the trailer tires, if I needed. A 4WD genie lift would have crawled up without so much pushing and I probably would not have noticed it.

/ Need help with weight distribution of my equipment (PICS) #10  
You won't really know for sure until you tow the load. It took me several tows before I settled on what feels the best from the seat of the truck driving. The I marked the trailer where the tires go. When its right the truck will drive about the same as empty only place you'll feel it is in the throttle.