Need help with snowplow balde cylinders

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #1  

mooch

I am finally putting a third function valve on my loader on my Kubota tractor. I have a snow plow blade which I致e been using for many years and I知 getting sick of the manual angle adjustment. It has the pins for cylinders to adjust the angle. I don稚 really understand hydraulics all that much I need help deciding which cylinders I need to buy. The picture below is what I have. The cylinders at rest would be 17 inches between centers. Open is 21 1/2 inches enclosed is 13 1/2 inches for a stroke of 8 inches.

Do I need 2 single acting cylinders and then just have one line to each cylinder from my loader? I have seen some cylinders which have a short hydraulic line connecting both cylinders together I imagine for some type of pressure relief.

94AA0F88-2732-4928-8188-8DF705DAFDB6.jpeg

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #2  
I was going to suggest Rogain.

Buy some "standard" plow cylinders, like for Meyers, Arctic or whatever is cheapest that will fit. Two, single acting.

You DON'T SAY WHERE YOU ARE. Here in Canada, Princess Auto has gotten into the (Chinesium) snowplow parts business.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders
that's what I was thinking. thanks for the help. I will just have one line to each of them correct? No hydraulic line connecting the two of them.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #4  
Nope. Easy peasy.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #5  
Obviously, check the diameter of the 2 attaching "pins" before you order. Most plow cylinders have a 1" (iirc) pin.
If you like a little added safety you can add a crossover valve, Surplus Cecter has all the parts and fittings, lines, etc. to finish it up with one box. They also describe the plumbing for the valve. If you hit something hard on say the right side, after a certain psi it will dumb the fluid to the left cylinder saving your hydraulic lines and possibly much more.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #6  
Why not just lock out the loader curl circuit and use it to run the angle cylinder(s). 2 standard conventional snowplow cylinders are mechanically linked so no need for a connection, BUT, they are only used to 1000 psi, and your tractors 2500+ psi pressure is going to get you some fast response and maybe some major drippage. I use low diameter brake line hoses90402086.jpg to throttle down the loader pressure/flow and mine works awesome.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders
well can't anything be simple! My pins on the snowplow are 1". The only cylinders I can find with pins that big (most are 3/4") have a 10" stroke (I only need 8"). So I am thinking of moving one set of pins back (cutting off and welding on with new brackets) a few inches to allow for the 10" stroke or cutting off all pins and welding on new ones that are 3/4". Not sure which way is better. any opinions?

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #8  
You could use 1 double action cylinder and it will also work with the crossover valve. There will be a much better selection of cylinders- stroke and mounting arrangements.

/ Need help with snowplow balde cylinders #10  
You could use 1 double action cylinder and it will also work with the crossover valve. There will be a much better selection of cylinders- stroke and mounting arrangements.

The problem with a single, double acting cylinder to angle a plow is they don't fare well under high shock loads at full extension. It's far too easy to strip the piston retaining nut right off the rod.
Dual single acting cylinders take major shock loads in compression. The rod IS the piston and it sits right on the base weldment when retracted. It has very high strength in that situation.