Need help with a big stump

/ Need help with a big stump #1  

snoboy

Silver Member
Tractor
04' Branson 4020
I have dug around this thing 360. and am ready to really work it. It has to go. Any veteran stump removal advice? I dont want to do something stupid to my tractor. Mike

/ Need help with a big stump #2  
A picture would help. Can you post one?

anthony

/ Need help with a big stump #3  
What kind of tree? Have you found all of the tap roots yet? How deep are you down? Go deeper then the stump is around.

/ Need help with a big stump #4  
I have the same questions...what kind of tree, how big in diameter is the stump....eg is this a 300 yr old oak, or a 5 inch hickory. Speaking of hickory.... I dug out some small ones and found their tap root to be much longer than other trees. What kind of ground? clay?

sassafraspete

/ Need help with a big stump
I got the stump!!! I put 8 hrs. on the tach this weekend and the stump is gone and I have a really big parking area now. I will post pics in a few days. Man this 4020 is a work horse.

/ Need help with a big stump #7  
I pulled out a 36" oak tree a few weeks ago!
I lopped off the branches first and then did some excavating around the roots with a Cat 420 backhoe (my 3045 was in the shop getting the axle bolts replaced).
I'm glad I had the Cat, because that thing was a monster!
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 427414-Oak Before.jpg
    427414-Oak Before.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 274
   / Need help with a big stump #8  
I figured the loader was a little more stable for me to use instead of a ladder (but I'm sure that still wasn't the safest thing to do!) to get up there and lop off the branches.
The branches were as big as some regular trees!

Attachments

• 427416-Loppin the oak.jpg
    427416-Loppin the oak.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 223
   / Need help with a big stump #9  
Here is the Cat before puncing on the prey - in the background /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 427417-Hungry Cat.jpg
    427417-Hungry Cat.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 216
   / Need help with a big stump #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is the Cat before puncing on the prey - in the background )</font>

uh - I meant "pouncing" (getting a little late) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here's the defeated stumpage.

I can't find the "action shot" of digging out the roots, but they were pretty impressive. It took a while to even get the tree out of the hole because there was so much soil/clay on the roots. I had to scrape off lots of material with the hoe, and still had trouble. It was kinda like a weeble-wobble.

Luckily, the center of the stump was half rotten, so I was able to split the stump in half and pulled it out in 2 pieces. They were still pretty heavy.

I really think this job would have been nearly impossible to do with the 3045. I guess I could have nibbled away at the roots with the 3045 hoe, an axe, and a chainsaw and then cut down the stump into smaller chunks and got-er-done that way, but that would have taken quite a bit longer to do. This took around 1 to 1 1/2 hours using the big hoe.

Attachments

• 427422-Big oak stumps.jpg
    427422-Big oak stumps.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 249