Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Bought a used Leinbach dirt scoop about twelve years ago. Served me well until I added a tractor with an FEL. I decided to use the upper part of the scoop for a log arch, and that worked out really well. Still have the bucket kicking around, waiting for a project. Thought I might build a 22LR bullet trap, but I'm not doing enough plinking where the lead harvesting would be worthwhile. Had another idea.

The concept: Weld legs onto it, with an axle across two of the legs so it can be moved wheel-barrel style. Cut a hole in the center of the bucket bottom and mount a pipe flange elbow, for hooking a forced air source (maybe a Ryobi ONE+ power high volume inflator). Then configure the inside of the scoop with bricks and a grate, appropriate for concentrating charcoal over the air hole.

Have never done any forging, want to try my hand at it, mostly for skill development. I could buy a $100 China-made, propane mini forge, but then I wouldn't get to practice my welding or have a use for the dirt scoop.

Any feedback on the concept appreciated.

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #2  
I use a propane forge because it's less expensive to operate, cleaner and easier but you shouldn't because "you wouldn't get to practice welding nor have use for the scoop". 😒

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #3  
I cobbled together a forge from the bottom of a 100lb propane tank. I gutted a hair drier (removed heating element) for the forced air, incorporated an air damper to control the air flow. I use hardwood lump charcoal for the heat source. I’ve found it surprisingly useful to have around.

Mike

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #4  
Mine’s very crude, frame is from an old table saw.
IMG_2797.png

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #5  
IMG_6672.jpeg

After the forge you may want to come up with an anvil, here’s what I came up with for mine.

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #6  
Are you going to insulate it with fire brick?

I built a shop heater two years ago, double walled with Perlite around the core.

This aft i discovered that the baffle to deflect the flame into the heat exchanger, made out of 4mm (5/32) plate, sags down because it got so hot that it became plastic and sagged under its own weight.

/ Need feedback on idea: Portable forge from an old dirt scoop #7  
Lots of ways to build a forge.... It has evolved over the last 2000 years up to about 150 years ago when the design finally stopped evolving.... Suggest you do more research on forge design..... Someone mentioned a propane/gas forge but consider you can only heat what will fit inside froge opening, where as with a open coal/coke/charcoal forge there is not any real size limitation.... There is a really good site for blacksmithing and forge design on facebook for the beginner at doing work at a forge....

Here is basic concept on what a forge design should incorporate....

b9676e282602090781afa7cc46ba9ca8.jpg

Essence of forge.JPG

Link to my Forge build...

My resume (sort of)....

Last edited: