Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #51  
Teach safety young, and it may be a better lesson than to ignore it during childhood and hope they will learn the safety rules as young adults
Too many people don't realize this. My driver's ed instructor told us they'd found the best drivers were those who were allowed to ride their tricycles indoors.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #52  
We built my parent's house when I was about 13. I helped a lot, and got to use all the saws, measuring tapes, sharp knives, and also did a lot of electrical work. Those lessons have kept with me for the rest of my life.
Same. I look around this old farmhouse and still see repair stuff that I did 60~70 years ago.

Much of it still in use but there are a few things that are obvious kid workmanship, such as where I painted over a shelf-paper thumbtack instead of pulling it, out of sheer rebellion. And the 3-wire outlets that are wired properly but mounted upside down because I didn't have any examples to learn the customary way and Dad said do what you want. (Everything existing was 2-wire no ground).

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #53  
And the 3-wire outlets that are wired properly but mounted upside down because I didn't have any examples to learn the customary way and Dad said do what you want.
Is there a standard?

Anyway, for the electrical work, we had a former neighbor who was a licensed electrician that would come and moonlight once a week or so to get us organized. Then we'd follow his lead.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #54  
It would be beneficial to educate him about gun safety. His father has a couple of semi-auto rifles and I don't think he engages the care around firearms that I do. And one of my family members is a certified armorer for Glock handguns.

But, as Ponytug wisely wrote, I need to know a lot more, and observe a lot more, before making any decisions especially hauling out any firearms. But I will keep it on the list of possibilities.
Talk to the parents and other family members.

I'd much rather someone that knows what they're doing (I presume) teach kids about firearms than having them go out and shoot road signs and mailboxes with a bunch of other teenagers.

However, don't give guns to kids that already have anger issues, or other troublesome social problems (although it can never hurt to just talk to the kid some too).

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #55  
for the electrical work, we had a former neighbor who was a licensed electrician that would come and moonlight ... Then we'd follow his lead.
My only guide was the Richter wiring book. Long before Sunset issued better guides.

__ia_thumb.jpg

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property
Talk to the parents
Since he is 15 and coming from out of state, I need to have a number of discussions to learn and comply with the parent's wishes. And legal requirements. And I will comply with all.

What makes it interesting is the parents are divorced and the acrimony reigns supreme. One is awaiting a court date right now to wrest custody away from the other due to "domestic violence." This has persisted for years.

I stay well clear of such drama. Just one text received usually includes more personal drama than exists in my household for 5-10 years. So, I tiptoe cautiously. But even in light of that, I am looking forward to a good visit and exposing a young man to positive things he has never experienced.

My sister said he needs a good male role model right now. I'm not sure I am totally up to that, but I do believe I can be a lot better example than what he has in his life right now.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property
I look around this old farmhouse and still see repair stuff that I did 60~70 years ago.
I opened up an electrical box at my 100+ year old farmhouse a few months ago.

It had 4 green wires, one white wire, and a black wire, all connected together and cinched with a wire nut. Ahhhhh ... I think I will leave that one alone!

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #58  
I put my nephew in a barn infested with rats with a Stephens crackshot 22 short. He was probably 14.
I was sent under a single wide to rat hunt with a 22lr revolver and rat shot, at the age of 9.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #59  
My nephew would stay with my parents for a week or so when he was about 15 years ago.
Parents would have breakfast at 8am then Dad would say "well...let's get to work!".
Each day Dad had projects to do, everything you could imagine and they would work all day, stopping for lunch & quit for supper.
Dad passed 10 years ago and I saw my nephew last week and joked about it. He didn't laugh, except said "you know I learned a whole lot doing all those chores, things I can now do myself".

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #60  
I dont know how sheltered, or domesticated this kid is, but. When son was in cub scouts, I remember going on the first camping trip, and being dumbfounded by some of these 1st/2nd grade kids; one had a snotty nose, and asked if anyone had tissues. No, just do a farmers blow. He had no idea what that was. Just being able to run around a bit feral and pee in the woods, I think many of us take for granted.

My advice would be, don't over do it, or force too much. It might annoy you, but if he's propped up by the campfire, half paying attention, and half on his phone, that's a win. Forcing a kid to sit in a boat fishing from 4am-9pm, whether you catch anything or not, hungry, bored, and sunburnt, probably isn't gonna win you any favors. At the same time, he might need a bit of a push, and thats OK too, just don't keep pushing.