Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
This winter a couple of storms have got me thinking again about a front mount snow blower for the Kubota M59.
We used to move snow with a back blade on the old JD, but I'm afraid my days of looking over my shoulder are done. Last time it took months to get my neck working right again. It's time for a change.

For a couple of years since we quit using the blade, we have used the FEL on our TLBs to get the bulk of the snow off. That works. Our FEL tractors are large enough and powerful enough - but a loader bucket isn't the best tool. By the time we get the snow off, it also tears up our quarter mile of mountain driveway more than I like. Or else it leaves too much compacted snow to drive and walk over all winter. The driveway is just rough dirt and gravel with occasional rocks and some struggling grass. It doesn't profit from the bucket abuse.

I know nothing about snow blowers. I don't even know if that is a possible solution, maybe not. The Kubota M49 SSQA loader bucket and front tire width are both 7 feet... Does going larger or smaller make much difference? The M59 came with front hydraulic outlets 16 gpm controllable on thejoystick. So I'm looking at a hydraulic drive in that range and SSQA if it is to be an attachment for the M59.

The other option would be to buy an older smaller 20 hp tractor that has a front PTO and a permanently mounted front snowblower. I know of one in excellent shape at about the same price as a new SSQA for the M59.
Which way would you go? Attachment for the larger M59? or a small dedicated sub compact? Neither has a cab.

I'm a newbie on snow blowing, so any advice is appreciated.

rScotty

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #2  
16 GPM would be a pretty weak blower for 7 foot width which I suspect would be required to meet your tractor width.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #3  
The only problem with a blower is that it could be really slow on a quarter mile run. It depends, of course, on the type of snow - powder vs wet snow. The wetter and heavier the snow, the slower it will be.

The main benefit of a good snowblower is its ability to move the snow farther away to avoid building up banks along the side.

A plow on a truck might be a good alternative, especially if you already have a truck that you could install a plow on. You could then use your existing equipment to push back any snow banks from the plow once and awhile.

That’s what I used to do. Plow my driveway along with a neighbors using the plow on my truck. I didn’t have to worry about killing the truck by pushing back banks because every once and awhile on a nice snow free day, I’d take my skidsteer and push back any banks that built up.

I have a blower for the skidsteer, but can actually work just as fast just using the bucket, especially in the snow banks or wet snow.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #4  
I have an older Kubota BX2200 with the BX2790 blower on the front and it throws snow a good 30'. I have quite a bit of snow removal to do and this combination has handled everything just fine, including a 38" snowstorm to start get winter started a few years ago in upstate NY.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #5  
Problem is the flow and the pressure . That port is for things like blades, grapples, etc. A blower takes a lot more pressure and flow, and needs a reservoir to help keep fluid cool, as it really heats up. I would not want that hot fluid running thru my tractor hydraulics.

my rear mount hydraulic tank holds 25 gallons of fluid separate from tractor system. It runs at 3,000 psi vs tractors 2,000 psi. Mine runs at 15 gpm but I only have a 45 hp tractor. it also uses 1" diameter hoses for increase flow. For a 60 hp tractor they recommend 24 gpm @3,000 psi for the size blower you need.

they also recommend a hydraulic cooler circuit, but i never needed it because i monitor my tank temp and it’s never gotten into danger zone. Mind you if I used system in summer to power things like brooms or front augers, I’d need the cooler.

other option. Do they offer a front pto option on your tractor? Than you could use a frame mount unit. Lose use of loader and harder to install in winter, but cheaper.

snowblower installed.jpg

side bracket 1 and 2.jpg

LEFT TANK SIDE.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #6  
I've moved on to a broom: Fast, tosses snow far away from the edge, and scratches thru any ice deposits & trails from tires. Especially good on uneven surfaces. My backup is a 7.5' Western plow. But, the broom leaves the driveway completely cleared. On the front of my JD 1435 mower.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #7  
Does the broom work on deep snow? Like 12-18” drifts?

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #8  
Hydraulic blowers love power. Get a correctly sized PTO pump and reservoir. You're looking at 3/4" hose or a bit larger.

Winter ambient temps with a reservoir likely will not need a cooler. I've run 20 years without a cooler and it's fine. Reasonably warm fluid temps will help prevent water collecting in the fluid.

The 3 "C"'s of snowblowers...Cab, Cab, and Cab.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #9  
See above comment about "CAB"

If your neck bothers you from using a blade, wait till the wind catches that powder and turns you into an instant snowman. I would really recommend that your upgrade plan include a cab -- whether its on a tractor or a truck or an SUV.

And a cheap plow on a truck or SUV is way cheaper and easier to hook up than a front-mounted hydraulic snowblower. (Even if you had the hydraulics etc. to handle it.)

Get something that will let you move snow in a light jacket while sipping your morning coffee.

/ Need Advice on Front Mount Snow Blowers #10  
front mount blowers and hydraulic powerpacks, plus hoses will set you back plenty....like 15 grand or more.