Need advice on excavating/site prep

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #1  

mooch

I need to do some excavating for a pole building I am having put up. I was going to have an excavator do it but am getting frustrated finding one and I try to do most things myself anyways.
What I need to accomplish is a 130 foot drive to the site and the site is sloped about 6-8 feet from one end to the other. So I would need to remove the topsoil from the road and building site (48x 60 building).

What I have to do it: Kubota L3430 with FEL, Kubota KX 71 excavator.

I was thinking of buying an old bulldozer such as john deere 440 or maybe 350. The problem with the 350 is trying to transport it. I am not sure a small dozer would help me much more than what i have. I am not against buying another machine if it will make a big difference ( I can justify the cost against not paying an excavator). What about a skid steer, would they be big enough to just strip the topsoil without me loosening it with the excavator? I guess what I want to know is if a skid steer which I could transport on a 12-14k trailer would be better than a small dozer, or maybe I dont need either.

thanks

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #2  
You could definitely make do with what you have but I would really look into renting a small dozer or large skid steer. Just a thought...

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #3  
If it's just for this one task, I would rent a decent size dozer, like CAT D3/D4 //JD 650 size. Joystick controls, very easy to operate, and would make fairly quick work of your project. Rent for a day or weekend, then after move the dirt as necessary with the 2 Kubota's.

I would take a dozer any day over a skidsteer/tractor/excavator for that task.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #4  
I definitely agree with a dozer being the best tool for the job.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #5  
Skidsteers tear up the soil too much.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #6  
Assuming you remove 12" of soil and it's a 10' road, that's about 150yd of dirt which isn't all that much. You might be able to dig out 12" with your tractor if you have a toothbar, if not you could tear up the soil with excavator and follow behind with tractor to scoop it out. Seems like overkill to me to get a bulldozer for 150yd of dirt, that's only 8 or 9 semis full. If you have to excavate a lot deeper to level up building because of slope of land, maybe it makes more sense.
You don't mention how you'll get rid of dirt, do you need to truck it off site or can you reuse it? Your tractor might not lift high enough to make it over the side of a semi, so that might force you to rent something larger. If so, then I'd rent a cat with a bucket and do the digging and removal all at once to take advantage of the larger machine.
You could also loosen up all the soil with your excavator and then rent a skid steer to load trucks. A skid steer runs rings around a cat and would get that job done much faster.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #7  
I would rent a 75-100 HP TRACKED skid steer; cat 277/287/299, gehl ctl-80, asv-85/100, bobcat t250/300. Daily rent is ~$250 per day, $650 per week, $2500 per month. I would rent one week, prep, and dress out with your tractor after building is complete. You will be surprised what a 100 HP tracked skid will do. Probably spread a 20 ton load of rock in less than 5 minutes to +/- 1", and finish it all up with tractor and box blade after construction is finished. Avoid wheeled skids. Your tractor will do.the job as well, but a bit slower and harder to work with.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #8  
Although they have fallen into disfavor to the CTLs in the recent years, even a wheeled skid steer would easily do what you need. In fact, the larger skid steers that started coming out in the '80-90s are basically what replaced the small dozer in this country. A large skid steer will easily out work a JD440 or even 350 size dozer in that application.

I have a 1845C Case skid steer (60hp about 6800lbs) that I use for exactly what you are describing. I build barns for a living and use the skid steer for most site prep jobs. The more hp and weight the quicker you can get the job done, but even a small skid steer will 'dig' a lot better than a compact tractor. I say rent the biggest skid steer or compact track loader you can haul/afford and give it a try,(make sure it comes with a toothed excavating bucket and tire/tracks that aren't worn out) I think you'll be thoroughly impressed at how much dirt you can move.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep
Thanks for all the replies.

I went to the local bobcat dealer today and looked at some skid steers. I ended up looking at a new s590. Would this help me much in clearing this land over my CUT with FEL? I would be able to use this machine for a lot of things around the farm. I know a larger frame tracked machine would definitely be quicker than my current tractor but I think it would be too much for all of my other chores in and around the barn.

/ Need advice on excavating/site prep #10  
mooch said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I went to the local bobcat dealer today and looked at some skid steers. I ended up looking at a new s590. Would this help me much in clearing this land over my CUT with FEL? I would be able to use this machine for a lot of things around the farm. I know a larger frame tracked machine would definitely be quicker than my current tractor but I think it would be too much for all of my other chores in and around the barn.

Yes, it would work and you are right that a large skid would be hard to use inside the barn, although you would be surprised how many places a large tracked skid will fit