Need advice on a lawn tractor.

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I'm looking for a good used riding lawn mower for mowing about an acre and a half around the house. Did not know it, but my buddy said he has a Simplicity Sunstar 20 sitting in his shed that he picked up a few years ago that needs going over. He says it has a 20 hp Kohler on it. I have heard of Simplicity, but have no experience with them. Anyone here want to comment on this line of tractors? Are they dependable and well made? He said they were made between 1987 and 1997. Are parts still available? Or would I be better off looking for something newer? Never used a zero turn, but everywhere I look the lawn care people are using them. Had an older style Gravely once with the engine in the rear that was a good well made tractor, but I gave it to my brother years ago. It's still running. Anyway you get the picture. Thanks in advance. RRM

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor. #2  
I have a 1990's Simplicity Regent, heavily used.
It needs work, but still runs and cuts grass.
I used it yesterday to de-thatch and then aerate my lawns.
However, there are some parts, but not all.
Engine not too bad.
Even some frame and deck parts are available.
I have not replaced blades.
Belts are available.

how does the 20 run, does it have good compression?
Deck in good shape?
Blades have enough metal to be sharpened and not too bent/nick.

Pictures would help too.

Good luck,
Ken

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor.
Thanks Ken. I have not looked at it yet. We just talked on the phone about it yesterday.

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor. #4  
I have 2 Simplicity's . A ZTR 2500 24hp 48" Zeroturn mower with a hitch point and it has ZT2800 Transmissions (heavier duty) I also have a Citation XL with a 61" mower deck and 27hp Briggs engine. The Citation is a couple years old with no issues at this point. The ZT 2500 is about 5 years old now and had one issue with the bar that holds the transmission up cracking. I had it welded and reinforced and the dealer ordered me a replacment bar that i have as a spare. Otherwise my dealer is local and has parts easily available. I fix things myself so that's not a problem nor is the maint which I do myself as well. These ZTR transmissions have a filter and changeable oil. Some don't. I also use Synthetic oil in them for longer life and better heat handling. So far so good. I'll probably have them until I'm too old to use them anymore. Like my 94' Steiner 420. Same thing heavy duty machines just last.

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor. #5  
My experience with lawn tractors is that people don't stop using them until something is wrong with it. My advice is to go to Wal Mart or somewhere else and buy a cheap mower that will last you six to eight years if taken care of. Or better yet, for 1-1/2 acres get a simple homeowners zero turn for a few dollars more. Our first zero turn cut our mowing time from 2:30 to 1:30 on a one acre yard with many trees, bushes, and flower beds to mow around.

RSKY

/ Need advice on a lawn tractor. #6  
I agree that you should look for something newer. Mowers that have sat unused can be trouble. Probably not worth the time and hassle.

If new, you can ensure proper maintenance and storage snd it can last a long time with fewer downtime snd headaches.

There is not much more frustrating than having to cut the grass snd the mower won’t cooperate!

There are lots of decent mowers. 1-1/2 acres to cut is a commitment. Zero turns will get it done as fast as possible.

MoKelly