Need advice for truck anti-theft device

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #41  
For me going to Home Depot with my service van was an open invite to thieves... even in first parking space right at the entrance.

It got to the point I simply could not go to Home Depot unless I had someone stay with the truck.
Liability lawyers have made it hard for Home Depot to control merchandise theft but they came through for my neighbor's employee when he shot a thief in their parking lot. Neighbor stopped at Home Depot and his crew stopped their van farther out in lot to wait. Thieves pulled up and proceeded to remove his gooseneck tailgate. The support cable hung and slowed them long enough for one of his employess to run to truck yelling. Thief's get a way driver sped away, thief hit the guy with tailgate and guy shot him. Depot mgr advised guy to wait for their lawyer at police dept before making any statements. Lawyer sat with guy while he made a statement then posted bail. Grand jury no billed him but without security tape and statements from Depot's lose prevention to district attorney it might have went to trial.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #42  
Reminds me of an incident that happened many years ago when an old drinking buddy of mine worked as a bouncer at a roadside tavern. His truck was constantly being burglarized while he was on the job. He tried various alarm systems but, as you noted, they were mostly ignored in the crowded tavern parking lot.

Out of frustration, he wired two oil burner transformers to the truck body so a would be thief would get a 5000 volt shock when they entered the cab. It worked very well for a few months until one night, he found a dead body lying next to his truck after he got off work. It was an older, well known thief who had several B&E convictions. He had a heart condition and the shock killed him when he tried to break into the truck.

To make a long story short, my buddy got in serious legal trouble for booby trapping his truck. What really gets me though is, the thief's family hit him with a wrongful death suit! He was in court for a couple of years and I lost touch with him so I don't know how it all ended.

I guess this is why you don't see high voltage alarm systems on the market.
Where he screwed up was telling anyone he rigged it. It is unlikely they would have determined anything other than a tragic heart attack. Somebody must have "mentioned" it or joked about it, maybe even bragged about it.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #43  
Don't even know what an oil burner transformer is or how one would power/keep operational and how you would electrify the surface of the truck

One of dad's friends took a 12 volt fence charger and tried to make a deterrent but without a ground and on dry blacktop it did nothing... plus with today's electronics it would probably fry the electrical system...

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device
Maybe so, but the OP of this thread lives in Texas.
It's getting bad everywhere. The Houston area is the worst, especially for vehicle smash and grabs and vehicle theft. But I've even noticed that here in Denton (North Texas) that I'm seeing more of the parking lot sentries, those towable crank up towers with the cameras and flashing blue lights.. Which is telling me that they must be starting to see an uptick here.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #46  
Any chance those towable crank up towers are repo vehicles ? A lot of repo has started to happen in North America. Times are getting tough for those that haven,t been able to manage finances over the years, and credit cards are all maxxed out.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #47  
I dunno..I heard bidonomics is really working well for most of America!

🥸

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #48  
It's getting bad everywhere. The Houston area is the worst, especially for vehicle smash and grabs and vehicle theft. But I've even noticed that here in Denton (North Texas) that I'm seeing more of the parking lot sentries, those towable crank up towers with the cameras and flashing blue lights.. Which is telling me that they must be starting to see an uptick here.
Popular here but not sure what they accomplish other than feel good since property crime gets a pass by Law Enforcement and District Attorney?

Security can't do much either regarding property crime.

Walk into any store and higher end items such as a small spool of electric wire or laundry detergent is now locked in a cage...

Wonderful commentary on the state of things.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #49  
Popular here but not sure what they accomplish other than feel good since property crime gets a pass by Law Enforcement and District Attorney?

Security can't do much either regarding property crime.

Walk into any store and higher end items such as a small spool of electric wire or laundry detergent is now locked in a cage...

Wonderful commentary on the state of things.
I’m glad in these parts of Indiana the cops still respond to a crime report!

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device
I have a Ravelco installer coming out tomorrow to put one on. I might also double down and add a hidden GPS tracker.

I came across this GPS that has a battery backup and no monthly fee. It costs $119 for the first 2 years and then just $25/yr thereafter. It has 2 install options, one is a plug in to the OBDII port, which just seems too obvious and the first thing an experienced person would look for. The second option gets hardwired somewhere.

GPS Tracker

With the places I park, I've had a number of instances where my Ford App tells me my alarm is going off, especially in the hotel parking lots at night. I can't stand the thought of the hassles involved if I ever had my vehicle stolen.

Question: What's everyone's thought on having the decals installed that says these systems are installed?