Need a Gas Line

/ Need a Gas Line #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I live about 1-1/2 blocks from a gas main of some kind. There's no lines to any of the neighborhood homes right now. I would love to be able to have gas appliances in my home. I've contacted the local gas company and he said "if someone would donate a million dollars to put in the line the it could get done". He was ovoiusly been silly. How can get some leverage to get the gas companies attention. I don't know where to start. I currently use some propane but that's pretty spendy around here and want to switch over to gas if I could. Any help is appreciated. bjr

/ Need a Gas Line #2  
If they are a regulated utility, I would start with your Public Utilities Commission (PUC), or the equivalent in your state. They will be able to tell you what the gas company is required to do, as opposed to what they prefer to do, or not do.

/ Need a Gas Line #3  
I'm sure if you have enough neighbors on your road and all agreed to the need for a line to run down your road the gas company might install the line with anticipation of future revenue. If there is only a handful that want it then you need to get your million ready.

We had a similar thing happen with a town water line. It took a majority of people (who got tired of having bad well water) to push it through by a mail in vote that was sent to all homeowners, the majority (51%) voted for approval and the line was installed. Needless to say everyone on our road has to pay for this line running down our street in our taxes for the next 30 years whether we are hooked up to it or not. Of course if you are hooked up you also pay for your usage too. I thought I moved far enough out in the country to avoid this but found out I didn't. By the way, we don't have natural gas or town sewer on our street but I see it coming in the future.
If you want gas appliances, don't you have a local propane company that can set a tank for you?

/ Need a Gas Line #5  
Works a little different here.

If I want to develop my lot and a utility I need doesn't exist... I will have to pay the full cost to bring it in.

However, each lot that now has the availability of the utility I paid for and chooses to connect anytime within 10 years will have to pay their full share of the cost plus interest to me.

So 25 lots that now can hook up generally means any lot wanting to hook up has to pay 1/25th for the privilege.

After 10 years, unless the city grants an additional 10 years, there is no charge to tie-in.

Seems to work OK here. Those that benefit pay and those property owners not needing the service are not forced to pay for something they don't want.

/ Need a Gas Line #6  
Seems to work OK here. Those that benefit pay and those property owners not needing the service are not forced to pay for something they don't want.

Would you please run for office!:D
Bob

/ Need a Gas Line #7  
i can't get them to run cable for the houses that dot our road and that 's a lot cheaper than gas pipe.. good luck!

/ Need a Gas Line #8  
Here, If you have enough people to tap on or convert the cost is shared or no cost . If you are the only one ( for now) you foot the bill & as others tap on you get you get your investment back

/ Need a Gas Line #9  
You need to find what kind of pipeline it is. IF it is NAtural gas they may have to put ina boarder station lst one we bought was 250,000. About ten years ago. The boarder station basicly regulates pressure and aslo incorperates the oderiszer into the line. All services now have to have oderant.

you used to be able to a get a farm tap out near any main. Now with the new rules, nobody wants to accpet the risk.

/ Need a Gas Line
I just downloaded the "rules and regulations" the gas company has for new service lines. I got lost in a "sea of words". Maybe a lawyer could understand their jibberish, but I haven't a clue what their double talk means. The reference is full of obscure math formulas and ratios. I just wanted to be able to use Natural gas for a new residense I built. I won't beg to do business with them. We have electricity. I wan't born at the time when the rural electric associations were formed to provide electric service to the rural farms back in the 1930's. It was a Good thing the electric companies were apparently a little more far sighted ,then, than the gas companies are, now. I hear about the local politician's wanting to upgrade the local "utiility infrastructure", we'll see. bjr