Narrow bucket vs Trencher

/ Narrow bucket vs Trencher #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
I have a Woods BH9000 Backhoe.

I am in need to create some trenches (wires, pipes, etc).. I expect a number of projects over the next few years.

I looked online, and anything decent used is $2000+, including any attachments to the tractor.

In addition, our ground is VERY stoney. One of the properties is on a mountain, and another is in the delta of a creek by the name of Stony (and they don't call it Stony for nothing).

I have once rented a ditch witch (before I had a tractor), and it really struggled to ditch a packed road (for a french drain) on the mountain.

The main plus to the ditch witch from my perspective seem to be maneuverability. I can't think of anywhere i need to ditch of space being an issue, and while no mini-x, the hoe has about 9ft reach.

edit: another benefit would be 'walkability'--backhoe has to move for every 6 feet of trench or so.

Additionally, I believe a narrow bucket will be a few hundred $, tops.

2 questions

am I thinking right?

how do I find compatible buckets to my backhoe?

P.S. apparently I posted on this topic before
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/317183-buckets-fit-bh9000.html

/ Narrow bucket vs Trencher #2  
If there were no rocks or big roots, a trencher would be much faster and neater- BUT- you have rocks.

I have a full size backhoe and have a 20" and an 8" bucket- the 8" works well for trenching unless the ground is a little wet- then it is hard to get material to fall out. The other drawback to a narrow bucket is that my depth is limited to about 36" because the end of my dipper arm and the pin are about 12" wide- so I can only dig a trench as deep as the bucket is long. Just keep that in mind if you go with a really narrow bucket.

The 8" also works well for digging out tree roots.