Nail Gun Opinions

/ Nail Gun Opinions #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have started another building project and am thinking about getting a nail gun. Last shed build I did, I used screws on the whole thing. I have an air compressor but thinking about the battery so I don't have to worry about the hose.

Any recommendation from the pro builders on here what to buy? I will be using for framing.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #3  
I have several air nailers. My first was a harbor freight framing nailer, so cheap I bought a pair thinking they were going to be short lived, one project, disposal.... 20 years later they both are going strong. I've put 10's of thousands of nails through these, dropped them 12'+ off scaffolding and abused the heck out of them, they have been surprisingly trouble free. They owe me nothing.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #4  
I bought a Harbor Freight framing nailer fifteen or twenty years ago for some project or another. I've used it since - it's a really neat tool. If you just want a framing nailer for the one project it's probably not worth dropping a bundle of money on it. The warranty on the Harbor Freight unit will probably outlast your project but in my experience the nailer will outlast any warranty. Just add a bit of oil now and then.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #6  
If you currently have cordless power tools, go with a nailer that uses the same batteries as your power tools.
That was my thought also, until I started pricing them. The HF air nailer is $89.99. Dewalt starts at about $348.
I've been considering one myself so this is a timely question. A couple of more questions: 21, 28, or 30 degree? Also, paper or plastic collated?

I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread, but these likely are of interest to him also.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #7  
Paper collated dissolve when wet. Price the nails before deciding on the gun. Some brands of nails are stupid expensive. Use safety glasses and work gloves with plastic collated, they throw shards of plastic. Bil has DeWalt cordless framing gun. It seems finicky on what nails it likes to shoot well. If it jams it's a job to disassemble to clear misfire.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #8  
21 degree are the most popular with pro builders I know. paper collated nails hold better than plastic and leave less debris to deal with. Its been several years , but I didn't have good luck with Harbor Freight nailers when I was reroofing a house. HF has a 90 day warranty on pretty much everything they sell. some of the HF tools once out of warranty have no replacement parts available. I returned the HF nailers, picked up a used Hitachi roofing nailer . I also found used Porter Cable and Senco framing , brad and staplers. Over the years I have had to put a few parts in them , but the parts are available for most all name brand nailers.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #9  
I ran nail guns daily for many years - Hitachi was our preferred gun. The steeper angle allows access into tighter spaces. Not an issue for everybody whose just framing 1 building or such. The battery operated units look like the way to go today.

/ Nail Gun Opinions #10  
I use a Paslode. You get over 1000 rounds per gas cylinder and the battery lasts for several gas cylinders. Not light but manageable. I've built a lot of run in sheds and hay feeders with it!

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D