Nagging flat tire

/ Nagging flat tire #1  

avorancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, RTV900
I have one front tire that keeps going flat when doing "rough" work. I can run around for weeks on normal surfaces, FEL work, etc. and have no problem. But when I get into bouncy, rough, spin-tire type situations, it seems to lose air. I usually notice it when the rim is turning and the tire isn't (bad sign).

The first time it happened, I took the wheel to the dealer because I couldn't get the bead set. They said I had bent the rim so they straightened it ($50). Since then I have punctured it twice and plugged it myself. Last time I put in some aerosol sealant in frustration... no change. I've had no problems with the other side. I check pressures every time I use the tractor and it doesn't change until I abuse it.

Any downside to putting in a tube, or do I get tougher tires?

B7800 w/r4 tread

/ Nagging flat tire #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any downside to putting in a tube )</font>

Not really, other than the fact that you can't plug a tubed tire. It will just be more work to fix the tube instead.

In your case, I think I'd put in the tube.

/ Nagging flat tire #3  
A couple of things with tubes. First not all wheels are designed to be tubed. Second is if you are spinning the wheel on the tire you could then cause bigger problems by ripping the valve out of the tube. I know you said that you check your air pressure, but are you running it too low. I would look at bringing the air pressure up by a few PSI.

/ Nagging flat tire #4  
Try sealing the bead.

Just remove the tire, break one side loose, clean well and then seal with a good coating of rubber cement around the bead.

Air the tire up to reseat the bead then repeat for the other side.

If you have trouble airing the tire to reseat the bead, use a ratcheting cargo strap. Just run it around the outer circumference of the tire and ratchet the center of the tread down. This will force the bead out against the rim.

/ Nagging flat tire #5  
have you done a water test on it yet?
(put in too much air then put the whole wheel in a bucket of water and look for bubbles while wiggling the stem and the plugs)

/ Nagging flat tire #6  
Had the same problem, tire would not seal to the rim. Took it to a local tire shop and had a tube installed, no more problems.

/ Nagging flat tire #7  
<font color="blue"> Had the same problem, tire would not seal to the rim. Took it to a local tire shop and had a tube installed, no more problems. </font>

I did the same thing. After replacing the front tires, I always had problems with a slow leak in the left one. I checked the valve stem and had the tires removed and remounted. No luck. I resorted to just tubing both front tires.

Jeff

/ Nagging flat tire
I checked this morning and pressure was at 30 (same since last weekend), so I bumped it up to 40psi and took it town to a creek bed that I've been trying to clean out. (water test probably won't work because I need to abuse the tire for it to leak)

While backing out of the creek in low range and using diff. lock, I noticed the front rim spin slightly. I checked the pressure immediately and found that I had already lost about 10psi. I think I've found the problem and it isn't those ground squirrels sneaking out of their holes and letting the air out of the tire after all.

I'll try sealing the bead like Ozarker said, if that doesn't work I'll be tubing.

Thanks y'all for the hints.

/ Nagging flat tire #9  
Not so sure that will work now. Sealing the bead is good for a tire that continuiously leaks from the bead but it won't do anything to stop the tire from spinning in the rim. From your first post I assumed that it only spun after loosing all or most of the air pressure. Now it looks like it will spin at operating pressures.

Not good........... putting a tube in that tire will not fix your problem. It will spin again and tear the valve stem out of the tube.

You said that the rim was bent and repaired. I think that it is still bent and that is the problem. You may not be able to see the bend......but it is enough of a bend that the bead simply will not set all the way around.

After reading your second post I think your problem will only be solved with a new/different rim. But.........no harm in trying to seal it first.

BTW...I think that we are all assuming that the tire/rim combination is right/OEM for your 4WD tractor. If you have changed it and the front to rear ratio isn't the same, you will continue to spin tires/rims.

/ Nagging flat tire
Hmmm... I see your point but I'm going to give it a try. I'm thinking that I just have a bad seal on the bead... maybe some dirt, etc. I'll give it a real good cleaning and use the rubber cement to get a tight, clean seal.

Sounds a lot cheaper than a new rim and worth a shot.