My Truth on RK Tractors

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #1  

MikeH-OH

Tractor
RK 55 HSC, JD3200,
I am an RK55 HST Cab owner. I have 75 mostly wooded, hill side acres, many trails one long gravel road, 3 ponds, several food plots, 2 beef cattle on butchering rotation, and I cut about 5 cords of firewood a year to heat my barn. I have a woodmax 78" flail mower, 72" tiller, disk, Baumalight 3p stump grinder, a woodmax wood chipper and other small attachments.

After milking A JD3200 for all it was worth over 18 years, riding it hard and putting it away wet, it became time to upgrade to mid weight and more HP.

I LOVED MY DEERE. It served me very well for thousands of hours with the rare minor problem. I used it hard and did many things a tractor that size had no business doing.

I have been an RK customs for over 25 years.

Their entry into the tractor market timed perfectly with my needs.

I decided to roll the dice on the 25 percent savings. The features combined with the price was just to much to turn down. I was assured that service was a real commitment of the company, and a certified JD expert told me he thought it liked like a great tractor for the price.

I have experience with International, JD, Kubota and Kioti tractors. The Kioti lead me to think I would find the RK55 to be adequate, and with the jump in size and HP, I'd lack nothing compared to my old 3200.

I was wrong. If you've never owned JD hydros, and do a lot of bucket work, you would be happy with it. But it's no Deere. The hydros are painfully slow in comparison and I got more done with a smaller bucket. Shaking it to empty stubborn dirt, manure etc... is a challenge.

It has been great for pulling logs off the hill. That much I can it did very well.

The cab AC is underpowered for hard engine work (running a 78"flail mower) on 90 degree days, otherwise it's good, and the heat is excellent.

It does drink a lot of fuel.

It was advertised and sold as having a Bluetooth radio. They lied. I was told that radio wasn't available to install on the earliest assembles. "Well When are you going to install the system that was advertised? " he just laughed and said "we aren't".

Here's the real crux of the tractor after a couple years of use.

With 330 hours on my RK55 I I have:
1. Had to replace the very cheap aluminum battery cable ends at around 60hrs.

2. Replaced a failed AC compressor idler wheel bearing at about 150hrs. When I tried to order the part, the delivery time was crazy. I got an identical bearing from NAPA that day and fixed it myself. It's a very awkward job without the right tool.

When replacing the idler wheel a much more serious issue was found... the tractor frame mounting bolts for the front lifting arm assembly were loosening badly. This is a very dangerous issue.

3. The front brush guard mount is flimsy mild steel and is bent beyond usefulness. It is not sturdy by any definition.

4. At around 300 hrs, I developed a drastic loss of power. My local RK store claimed they were undergoing a service dept remodel and couldn't get me in. Said "the Wooster store should be able to help you" and gave me the number. I was told "get it hear this weekend and I'll dig into it on Monday". 2 weeks later it has not been touched. I call my local dealer and he gets some action.

I was called 4 hours later and told it was ready for pick up.

In addition to the power issue, I had requested my 350 hr service be done while they had it. I am a busy guy and the service is worth paying for with my time constraints. I use the tractor nearly every day and down time is a real problem. Ialso requested new left side door hinges because I had ripped the lower hinge off on a tree and had the door duct taped shut.

When I arrived to the 1 hour distant facility I discover the power problem was a simple cleaning of the contact points on the computer board that controlled the exhaust regeneration system.

NONE of the other work was done.

About 2 months later the same loss of power occurs as I am unloading pallets of feed (about $400/ month of RK feed buyer) and as my tractor is sitting still with a full pallet on the forks, the seal in the left front axle fails, dumping hydro oil all over the barn floor.

The next day I call my local store. Again I'm told bring it over I can start tomorrow.

I get it there, he said he'd call me tomorrow with what he finds.

Again I request the door hinges be replaced, and, now at 330 hours, a full service.

Long story short, 6 weeks later my tractor is still sitting outside, the contact points had been cleaned. The tech basically told me he was swamped, hadn't been able to get to it, and if I want to come get it and have someone else fix it, it was fine with him.

2 weeks later, I pulled in, loaded it and left. No one asked what I was doing or who I was, 3 more weeks later, no one has called to tell me my tractor is missing.

Between myself and my construction related business, RK has lost a fairly significant customer.

I wish I had gone another direction.
I hope someone finds this useful.

Sorry for the brevity, lack of detail and any typos. Doing this on a phone.

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #3  
3032514546.gif

and enjoy the forum!

A story like yours make me (sorry you had all of them problems) glad I went with the LS.

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #4  
I think it happens with all brands...

My neighbor bought a new John Deere 4440R and he's a pretty unhappy camper about his tractor, so like I said, it happens to every brand.

SR

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #5  
I was considering the RK37, the dealership was an hour drive from me (only one in Michigan)and the few times I went there to speak to someone, there was never anyone that knew anything about the tractors. No service tech, no sales person, just kids that knew nothing except they sold some parts.
I visited a number of other dealerships and none were that bad, it seems to be a common complaint from people. This was enough for me to go elsewhere to purchase a tractor

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #6  
where do you live ? I never even heard of RK brand before but then again I never heard of LS until I started shopping for a new tractor, I wound up buying a new LS and have a little over 150 trouble free hours on it now. Sounds like maybe you have a pretty lousy dealer. Do you have any pictures of your RK ?

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #7  
Yes there are nightmare service stories with every brand. I personally would not buy a RK, but would consider TYM. I dont like rebranded machines. Bobcat, no. Kioti yes. New Holland WM no, LS yes. Thats just me...no reason to complicate things...they are hard enough to understand as it is.

What happened to the RK Tractor Guy on these forums? I cant search his username any longer.

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #8  
Where RK tractors get their price point on is they are made by TYM, but not serviced or warrantied by TYM. RK is a box store in the south/midwest. Yeah, I bought from TYM and have 160 trouble free hours. But off course some have had problem after problem.

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #9  
Where RK tractors get their price point on is they are made by TYM, but not serviced or warrantied by TYM. RK is a box store in the south/midwest. Yeah, I bought from TYM and have 160 trouble free hours. But off course some have had problem after problem.
Exactly. In typical big box store fashion RK was ready to sell tractors but not ready to service them.

I wonder how long before they decide its more trouble that its is worth?

Here is some history for those interested (it isnt RKs first foray into the tractor market):

Rural King Supply began in 1960 in Mattoon, Illinois, USA and is a farm and country supply store. It remains a family-owned company, and now has 110 locations in 13 states.

Rural King began importing tractors from China in 2001 using the Rural King name. They later established the Tractor King brand in 2002. Tractors were built by Jinma and Foton Lovol; however, as of about 2010/2011, the importing of tractors had stopped.

In 2010, RK began marketing Massey Ferguson lawn tractors within its stores.[1] These are built by Simplicity Manufacturing Company under license from AGCO.

Rural King then moved into an agreement in 2011 with AGCO and established small Massey Ferguson dealerships within some of the stores that didn't have nearby MF dealers.[2][3] It appears that agreement has since stopped.

In 2017, Rural King had decided to begin marketing tractors again, this time under the RK Tractors brand. These tractors are built in South Korea by Tong Yang Moolsan, and should have a higher dependability than the previous Tractor King tractors. Final assembly is in Waverly, Ohio, USA.[4]

/ My Truth on RK Tractors #10  
I was considering the RK37, the dealership was an hour drive from me (only one in Michigan)and the few times I went there to speak to someone, there was never anyone that knew anything about the tractors. No service tech, no sales person, just kids that knew nothing except they sold some parts.
I visited a number of other dealerships and none were that bad, it seems to be a common complaint from people. This was enough for me to go elsewhere to purchase a tractor
Exact same experience in Maryville TN. RK is a joke. The store is a mess.