My Tractor Mechanic is not happy

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #1  
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT2001D
I may have bought a 1955 Oliver Super 55 with four implements, delivered, for $2,800.
My mechanic is rolling his eyes because it is elderly and it is gas. But he was at his folks' place or wheat harvest,
I was unsupervised!!!
Is he going to be right in the long run? Did I want a diesel??

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #2  
It depends on your intended uses for the tractor.

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #3  
I may have bought a 1955 Oliver Super 55 with four implements, delivered, for $2,800.
My mechanic is rolling his eyes because it is elderly and it is gas. But he was at his folks' place or wheat harvest,
I was unsupervised!!!
Is he going to be right in the long run? Did I want a diesel??
I had a gas Oli. It was a fine tractor. It used more fuel than a diesel would. Probably didn't have the same torque characteristics as a diesel.

I would prefer a diesel, but, if I only had one tractor, and no other diesel, I would not be ashamed to own a gas tractor, they start easier in the cold too.

Best,

ed

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy
It depends on your intended uses for the tractor.
It is to be the dedicated bush mower tractor. I have a 24hp 4wd Mitsubishi with a F/E loader to do everything else. I just HATE dealing with the mowing deck!!!

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy
I had a gas Oli. It was a fine tractor. It used more fuel than a diesel would. Probably didn't have the same torque characteristics as a diesel.

I would prefer a diesel, but, if I only had one tractor, and no other diesel, I would not be ashamed to own a gas tractor, they start easier in the cold too.

Best,

ed
So just to mow the pastures, I am good?? Have a diesel with a f/e loader already

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #7  
My first tractor was a 1959 Farmall Cub. I didn't know what I wanted and a friend of mine said this was a good place to start. I loved that tractor and wish I still had it because the $1800 I sold it for is long gone.

It put out a (massive) 12 HP but the machine was incredible when you pushed it a little. I would skid 25' pine logs with it's 2 point hitch and it didn't miss a beat. It was gas and incredibly reliable.

Last edited:
   / My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #9  
It is to be the dedicated bush mower tractor. I have a 24hp 4wd Mitsubishi with a F/E loader to do everything else. I just HATE dealing with the mowing deck!!!
I think the old Oliver is more than up to pulling a rotary cutter. You should have no problem for that purpose.

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #10  
Oliver Super 55 Power
Drawbar (claimed):23.3 hp
17.4 kW
PTO (claimed):32.65 hp
24.3 kW
Drawbar (tested):29.60 hp
22.1 kW
Belt (tested):34.39 hp
25.6 kW
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD