My tractor broke!

/ My tractor broke! #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
My 1500D is down with driveline problems. The coupler from the clutch shaft to the input of the transmission has lost its splines and the transmisison input shaft has been damaged.

I had been removing gravel from a wash, not pushing it very hard. Running about 1500-1800 rpm in first or second, in 4wd and using the differential lock when the rear wheels wanted to spin. The ground was not hard, just sand and gravel. It broke (ceased to move on its own power) as I returned for another load, before I lowered the bucket.

I have used the tractor this way quite a bit. This time I had left it in 4wd while running about 200 yards to dump the loads and returning. I would have thought that any strain on the driveline from 4wd operation on harder surfaces would have shown up in another part of the driveline.

My question is: Is the driveline of the machine inadequate for digging with the loader, did I push it too hard, or what?

reb

/ My tractor broke! #2  
I am no expert on transmissions but I suspect that it was just your coupler's time to go. The coupler is a common wear point and after a thousand or so hours the splines tend to get very thin. There should be no more torque on that shaft when you are in 1st gear than in road gear (if you can really call that a road gear:). If it were a coupler somewhere on the other side of the transmission I would say that it could be caused by pushing too hard in in a low gear, 4wd, with the extra weight of the loader giving you more traction. Luckily there are a lot of 1500s out there and you should be able to find some cheap used parts.