My thoughts on Montana

/ My thoughts on Montana #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Well, I missed the 3940 that was for sale. Bummer cause the price was very good.

That said, it has been an interesting day that is starting me to stray away from Montana. Would love other peoples insight.

First, the dealers I contacted about Montana near both of my homes had discontinued selling them. What surprised me about this is that both had stopped a while (months) ago, and Montana was unaware. Now, niether of the dealers badmouthed the product, but said they did not have enough sales to support.

Second, Montana itself, and its terrible website. It amazes me that in this day a major manufacturer does not realize that a website is a brochure, and it should be current, visual and chocked full of usefull information. Tonight I wanted to see some info on the new R-Line. This tractor is shipping, so it is not a confidentiality issue in my head.

Quite frankly, the people at Montana seemed to have no clue as to their operation. When I asked if they could email me a brochure, or just some additional photos as I could not see the tractor in person, they said they had none. And that a brochure would take 2 to 4 weeks.

Maybe this will all trickle back to them. They seem to have a good product, but if you don't support sales, they won't be around in 10 years when I start needing parts..

Carl

/ My thoughts on Montana #2  
The 390HST Farmtrac is the same tractor, same builder.Different color.Plenty of info on these.Nice machines.Your nearest dealer.Good luck.

Valley View Tractor & Equipment, Inc.

Address 2610 East Hancock Street
Newberg OR 97132 USA
Phone 503-554-8179
Fax 503-554-8806
County Yamhill
Distance Approx. 44 Miles

/ My thoughts on Montana #3  
woodlandfarms said:
Second, Montana itself, and its terrible website. It amazes me that in this day a major manufacturer does not realize that a website is a brochure, and it should be current, visual and chocked full of usefull information. Tonight I wanted to see some info on the new R-Line. This tractor is shipping, so it is not a confidentiality issue in my head.

Carl, all the websites are bad.
Bob

/ My thoughts on Montana #4  
Carl -
I came very close to buying a Montana. Price was attractive.
Also considered a Taff - both made by LG - big Korean conglomerate which also makes cell phones. The one thing I didn't like was the noisy transmission.

I ended up buy a slightly used Century 3035 (250 hrs) a week ago. Century brand is no longer but it is same tractor as the Branson 3510. So far I really like this tractor - better features and better cockpit.

My 2 cents

John

/ My thoughts on Montana #5  
woodlandfarms said:
Well, I missed the 3940 that was for sale. Bummer cause the price was very good.

That said, it has been an interesting day that is starting me to stray away from Montana. Would love other peoples insight.

First, the dealers I contacted about Montana near both of my homes had discontinued selling them. What surprised me about this is that both had stopped a while (months) ago, and Montana was unaware. Now, niether of the dealers badmouthed the product, but said they did not have enough sales to support.

Quite frankly, the people at Montana seemed to have no clue as to their operation. When I asked if they could email me a brochure, or just some additional photos as I could not see the tractor in person, they said they had none. And that a brochure would take 2 to 4 weeks.

Maybe this will all trickle back to them. They seem to have a good product, but if you don't support sales, they won't be around in 10 years when I start needing parts..

Carl

Carl,

I share your pain with the brochure. I am a Montana dealer and just did a local farm show and had no literature to hand out. Let me assure you that this isn't typical of them!! Last year when I needed literature, it was there in days and I literally handed out boxes full at the different shows I attended. Montana has just switched printers and I'm sure if they had a clue that it would take this long, they would have had another batch done with the old printing company.

As far as my experience goes, I love selling the Montana tractor! Is it as easy as selling a JD or Kubota where most customers don't even ask questions but are attracted to the name and the color like a bug to a bug zapper? No way!! BUT I like the quality of the product and have the knowledge that I need to have to share with a customer about the value that a Montana can offer. I can honestly say that I don't think I have a customer that isn't happy with the tractor they bought from me. They all have my phone numbers and I plead with them to call me if they have any questions or problems and I just don't get those calls.

As far as Montana not knowing what they are doing, you have to understand that they really shouldn't even be fielding calls from customers and it is a shame but not all of their dealers really look at the entire picture before taking on a product line. We have a dealer near me that has changed product lines so many times that I don't know why anyone would buy anything from him. In a year when you need a part, chances are he won't even have that brand. There is no way for Montana to know when setting up a dealer how serious the dealer is about long term commitment but to me, it is extremely important. To me, selling a product isn't about getting the loan papers done but it's the after sales support that really allows me to shine and lets the customer realise that they did make a good choice.

Has Montana as a company made some mistakes? Sure thay have! They are still a pretty young company and lets not forget that sometimes when things don't go as planned, it isn't always in your control. I'm sure the new printed didn't say to them that he would be happy to deliver the brochures a month after they needed them!

What I can tell you is that I believe that Montana as a company will continue to grow and things will go better as time goes on. If I thought for a minute that they weren't going to be in this for the long haul, I would have never became a Montana dealer.

Ken Walter

/ My thoughts on Montana #6  
montanaman said:
Carl,

What I can tell you is that I believe that Montana as a company will continue to grow and things will go better as time goes on. If I thought for a minute that they weren't going to be in this for the long haul, I would have never became a Montana dealer.

Ken Walter

I drove Kens' Montana. I agree with you. Wonderful machine.
Bob