My temperature gauge does work!

/ My temperature gauge does work! #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I've owned my B7800 for 10 years now, and I have never seen the temperature gauge move off the bottom. When I first got it, I had the dealer check it and they said it was normal :laughing:.

This past week I decided to widen the fire breaks around my property as it's fire season. My 51" tiller is rated 30 to 40 HP and my 7800 is only 24 or so. In some of the areas that are still native and never been disturbed, it really put a strain on the machine, at times I had to stop or raise the tiller to keep it going. I don't have a bush hog, as being desert, it won't grow back for 5 or 10 years.

After about a half hour or so I looked at the temp gauge and it actually rose to just above 1/2.

Woo Hoo, it actually works. I checked the radiator screen and it was clean and coolant level was normal. I forgot to mention that the OAT was about 100 degrees.

I guess I never worked hard enough before.

/ My temperature gauge does work! #2  
I think the B7800 is rated at near 31HP but not sure at pto hp. I had one for 3 years and it was one of my longest owned and most used tractors. I owned it when I was doing most of my early on landscaping work. Great tractor.
Not sure your gauge has been working properly. Have you ever changed you antifreeze? I think manual recommends every 3 years.

/ My temperature gauge does work!
I think the B7800 is rated at near 31HP but not sure at pto hp. I had one for 3 years and it was one of my longest owned and most used tractors. I owned it when I was doing most of my early on landscaping work. Great tractor.
Not sure your gauge has been working properly. Have you ever changed you antifreeze? I think manual recommends every 3 years.

It's 30 HP but 24 at the PTO. I've done all required maintenance and more. The gauge does move during normal grading and other light duty work, but just barely off the bottom. Over the years there have been a number of posts about the gauge "not working", but it seems to be normal for the 7800.

If working it at 100% of it's capacity brings the gauge to it's middle point, I guess that I should be thankful that Kubota designed a cooling system that is more than adequate for out here in the desert!

/ My temperature gauge does work! #4  
When I had the B7800 my gauge would hardly move either. Only when bush hogging in hot weather. Even still, it didn't go up much more.