My new lawnmower(s)

/ My new lawnmower(s) #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I planted a small area of turf in August. Water is expensive out here in the desert so I installed a subterranean drip system and installed a hybrid bermuda turf (Tifgreen) as it requires less water. At the time I thought I would have to buy a lawnmower to maintain it. Tifgreen is the turf used on golf course greens and needs to be cut at about 3/8" to 1/2" high. This means a reel type of mower. I've been looking for a used one as I only have about 1,500 SF of turf and I didn't want to spend $700+ for a new mower.

I've been looking for months and so far no luck on the mower.

...but wait, I may not need one. Every day the local Black tail hares and cottontails come and keep it mowed! It doesn't look as pretty as a golf course green, but it's saving me money and time. Tifgreen is a warm season grass, so it's starting to go dormant. They are keeping it at about 3/4" and I'm trying to get them to keep the height a little more uniform. :laughing:

Whoda thunk!

Attachments

• Yard2.jpg
    Yard2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Rabbit.jpg
    Rabbit.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 255
   / My new lawnmower(s) #2  
:laughing::laughing: That's a healthy lookin' jack. However, you'll have to watch in the springtime when they start digging burrows to deposit their brood of bunnies.

/ My new lawnmower(s)
:laughing::laughing: That's a healthy lookin' jack. However, you'll have to watch in the springtime when they start digging burrows to deposit their brood of bunnies.

Fortunately, the desert variety of hare nests above ground in brush.

/ My new lawnmower(s) #4  
Isn't nature grand! I've got a similar automatic lawn clipping service here due to my next door neighbour being a State Forest.

Every night a mob of wallabies, potoroos, brush-tail possums & bunnies come in and keep a good portion of the grass around the house down to a nice uniform level.

If I could get them to eat the thistles and (BLOODY!) bracken I'd be a happy & contented man.

/ My new lawnmower(s) #5  
Hey that looks like it is about ready for DINNER (YOUR dinner lol) grass is looking pretty good was wondering how well it did.

Mark

/ My new lawnmower(s) #6  
I'd trust this before the hares.

/ My new lawnmower(s)
My lawnmowers at work. :cool2:

Attachments

• Rab3.jpg
    Rab3.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 117
  • Rab4.jpg
    Rab4.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 106