My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,631  
Love watching the goats. With the goat pen up above the pond, have you thought of running a water line up from the pond and pump water up to them?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,632  
Love watching the goats. With the goat pen up above the pond, have you thought of running a water line up from the pond and pump water up to them?

I ‘ve thought of a ram pump. I think I’m gonna investigate that a bit.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,633  
I ‘ve thought of a ram pump. I think I’m gonna investigate that a bit.
I bought parts to build one, but never built it. It needs flowing water to work, like in a stream. Also don’t think it will get the lift needed. I was thinking running small pump periodically, like you filled the totes. Or keep a filled tote up there.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,634  
Any risk of parasites from Pond water?

#4,635  
Goats have parasites. Often they drink from streams and ponds.
We plan to put a rain barrel out there. That would go a long Way toward our current water needs but not long term. I think rain barrell now and eventually I will tap on to one of the yard hydrants and just run the additional 400 feet to put a hydrant out there. But for that, I will probably wait till I am ready to build a decent sized barn Somewhere down there. One of the issues with a ram pump is it would freeze so you cant run it in the winter time.

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #4,636  
You could install a rain barrel or tote at the goat barn and the install a gutter system on the back side. Where when it rains it goes to to those collection barrels. I have a 275 gal. tote that collects rain out in a area that's not close to water. Works great ! Plenty of YT videos to build one....just put it up high enough to put a 5 gal. bucket under the bottom faucet on the barrel.

#4,637  
You could install a rain barrel or tote at the goat barn and the install a gutter system on the back side. Where when it rains it goes to to those collection barrels. I have a 275 gal. tote that collects rain out in a area that's not close to water. Works great ! Plenty of YT videos to build one....just put it up high enough to put a 5 gal. bucket under the bottom faucet on the barrel.

How long does the water stay good? Do you ever have to add bleach?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,638  
I have a half acre pond in my pasture for my animals, but in winter, the pond will sometimes freeze over solid. I put a couple of electric bucket heaters in there so they can get something to drink, but I also have to have another source of water.

I have a water line to my barn and that's been great until it freezes too. When we lose power, and this doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I'm carrying buckets of water from the house out there. Usually that water will freeze in an hour or two, so I have to keep bringing water out to the barn. If I have power, I can use the heaters.

I got a bigger generator this year that runs off of propane, which I hope will allow me to keep the water from freezing the next time I lose power when it's freezing out.

With your goats, you need to prepare now for what will happen in the middle of winter. Carrying buckets of water out is not something you want to experience.

Eventually you will have to run a water line out there. The sooner you do it, the better off you will be. Run it deep enough to handle the worse freeze possible. Then make sure it doesn't freeze at the faucet like mine does. I insulated the feed room of my barn this year, and if I can keep that room above freezing, I'm hoping that my water lines wont freeze on me. This is East Texas and winter is normally pretty mild, but we get a few cold spells with snow every other year, give or take, and the entire region shuts down when that happens. If it freezes there, you will have issues with water and your goats.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,639  
How long does the water stay good? Do you ever have to add bleach?
I only use the water for washing hands, feet and other things down at the barn. Also use it for watering plants, trees, mixing concrete, fire suppression if needed etc. on the remote 16 acres we have. I have a 75 gallon barrel that i put a pump ( electric off the Gator battery ) on and put it in the back of our 'Gator' so can ride around and spray the water on things. I have had water in these totes for over a year and they stay clear and debris free.

I painted the 275 gal. tote black or any other dark color, so as to keep the water from getting alge etc. Never added anything to the water such as bleach etc. We don't drink any of the water from the tote. Some people put a filter on the tote before the rain water enters the tote. You just have to make sure you get a tote that has been cleaned and sanitized from whatever it had in it so it is made to a food grade level. Hope this helps !