My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,481  
We had crazy buckets of rain last night. We must have gotten 4-5 inches this week. The ground is spongy, my driveway is a mess. I was complaining about the drought like conditions just a couple weeks ago.
And speaking of water, on an unrelated note. My well water got cloudy yesterday. I noticed it in the toilet. Flushed a few times then went to the kitchen and got a glass of water which was really cloudy. Left that on the counter and in the morning still cloudy. Pulled another glass and it wasn’t as cloudy. Checked again a little while ago and it seems to be clearing up. I was going to take a sample in for testing but maybe this is normal? Anyone have advice on this? It had no odor or noticeable taste.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,482  
Almost sounds like all the rain may have infiltrated the well casing. Wells can be like chimneys, part science, part art and part luck !

#4,483  
I took a look at the spin down filter I have in line before the boiler and it had a bunch of dirt innit plus some stuff on the actual filter. I opened. the petcock and drained some of it off. A lot of sandstone dirt/sand. Maybe a teaspoon of the stuff plus a lot of black stuff that was floating and felt like dirt to my finger tips. When I rubbed it together between my fingers it just kind of dissolved into fine dirt. I should have photographed or filmed it

I will shut the water line and take the spin down filter apart today and get some pictures of what it is.
I don’t have any sort of filter on the cold line. Thinking I probably want to put something on it. I had planned originally to put a filter system in but when I had my well water tested the guy who owns that testing facility told me I probably didn’t need it because everything was so clear. Almost no
particulates in the sample. I think the casing inly goes down 60 feet ( if I remember correctly)and then its just a drilled hole thru the rock. I am sure its possible for bits of the rock to come away from the wall and filter down thru the water and up thru the pump.
Being the person in charge of doing everything is fun. I guess I have some work to do and decisions to make.

#4,484  
Just took some pictures of the spindown filter
IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,485  
Remove the valve core and just put the hose on stem for greater air flow. Once it's seated, quickly put the valve core in, put the air chuck on the hose, and fill to correct pressure.
This, with a 1/2" air line if possible.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,486  
Install a 1" whole house in line filter after the pump and use or fab a rigid mounting plate to remove the filer. You could do the 3/4 but the 1" is best for flow and longevity.

Why is this happening is another subject, and there are several reasons 1) a new well will emit drilling fines or particulate from the walls as the fresh water is entering the veins, and this will clear up/reduce over time. 2) you have the cycle stop which runs the pump at the moment of use, and the pump can and will cycle more like a dishwasher or brushing your teeth with water running for a minute or less. This stirs up debris with the on/off cycles- and Valveman even agrees, the best solution is a CSV plus a reserve 5-10 gal to minimize the cycles.

We had our well installed at 420' and got 2 GPM, so they Hydo fracked it and we got 10 GPM. This was thru granite from 20' to 420' and by hydro fracturing this pushed the fines from drilling into the supply for over 3-4 years. We had a house filter but none on the irrigation, so every spring needed to replace/clean each solenoid in the sprinkler system until I installed a 1" filter - no problems since.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,487  
We had our well installed at 420' and got 2 GPM, so they Hydo fracked it and we got 10 GPM.

I'm curious about the hydro-fracking, any idea how long the higher rate is expected to last?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,488  
72Chevy - it has been 23 years since fracking and still produces very well. With granite or other hard rock formations once cracked it should produce for a long time.

With softer/sandstone or porous formations those may eventually fill in reducing the flow.

#4,490  
Install a 1" whole house in line filter after the pump and use or fab a rigid mounting plate to remove the filer. You could do the 3/4 but the 1" is best for flow and longevity.

Why is this happening is another subject, and there are several reasons 1) a new well will emit drilling fines or particulate from the walls as the fresh water is entering the veins, and this will clear up/reduce over time. 2) you have the cycle stop which runs the pump at the moment of use, and the pump can and will cycle more like a dishwasher or brushing your teeth with water running for a minute or less. This stirs up debris with the on/off cycles- and Valveman even agrees, the best solution is a CSV plus a reserve 5-10 gal to minimize the cycles.

We had our well installed at 420' and got 2 GPM, so they Hydo fracked it and we got 10 GPM. This was thru granite from 20' to 420' and by hydro fracturing this pushed the fines from drilling into the supply for over 3-4 years. We had a house filter but none on the irrigation, so every spring needed to replace/clean each solenoid in the sprinkler system until I installed a 1" filter - no problems since.

What kind of filter? Large tank style? Mesh metal style or the kind that takes the disposable white cylinder inserts?