My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,331  
Siding and corner trim are done. Anti tip is done. All that remains is the two plates to cover the light boxes. I will pick those up tomorrow. The realtor who rents this house asked me to show it to 3 people by appointment tomorrow. She is in the hospital. A nice older British woman who has been very helpful to us in the last year so I am going to do some chores around the rental… repair the screen door my dog pushed thru, take some of my security lights down and put the original stuff back up. Jefanna asked if I was going to put the original door knobs on, I heavied up all the locks when we moved in and put a combination lock on the back door. No, they get to keep those. I have no use for these locks at the new place. Only thing I could use would be the combo lock. I guess I could put it on the shed down by the pond. I will probably just leave this one here and buy another one later on. I’m not ready to take down my security cameras yet. They are all coming with me.
I am exhausted from the heat today, but we are in a pretty good spot right now. Moving will be terrible as it always is, but, I am looking forward to a change of pace, once we get settled in.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,332  
It will be so nice to not have to travel anywhere to work on your house. On the other hand you'll have to keep on top of the mess of building.

I'm pretty impressed with what you and your family have accomplished. All the best with your anticipated move.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,333  
Saw this in your video:
View attachment 798278
That clamp is not correct for the cord and will probably eventually cut through and short it out. Yeah it will take years, most likely, but I've seen it. The good news is you only need to swap it out for a different type of fitting:

There are different sizes of these so you need to measure the diameter of the cord first, and also get the right size for the knockout in the box cover plate (1/2" or 3/4"). Odds are, the one I linked is the right size for you, but you need to verify. There are even more serious styles of support/strain relief for pendant cords but those are for bigger, heavier cords. The load on this is very light as the fixture is probably only a few ounces or so, so this style should be sufficient.

When do you think you are going to get to move in? Looks like you are getting pretty close to ready for the COO inspection. (y)
Thank you. I didn’t know they had these. I am ordering 6 and will replace the ones for the kitchen lights as well.
Building your own place is all about learning. I knew how electricity and plumbing worked before we built our place....but the actual parts and pieces were an endless education. I also found out about strain relief outlet fittings - used to make my own pretty much as woodchuck dad does with the addition of some tape and piece of vinyl tubing.

It turns out they make them commercially and not even expensive.

Between the code book, Amazon, and Home Depot we got the house and barn wired nicely. Even passed inspection - although not without a few changes.

And we are left with enough unused electrical wiring parts and pieces to do another....except they are all the wrong parts or else things that I've learned to do better. I've come to love EMT tubing and my hand bender. And also gotta love the local used building material store where I can never resist buying boxes of someone else's unused electrical parts & unused hardware for a song.

Building our house by ourselves was one of the best things ever. It simply took every evening, weekend, and vacation for years and has been more than worth it.

I've enjoyed every post you've made in this thread. Thanks for all the shared work.
rScotty

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,334  
Building your own place is all about learning. I knew how electricity and plumbing worked before we built our place....but the actual parts and pieces were an endless education. I also found out about strain relief outlet fittings - used to make my own pretty much as woodchuck dad does with the addition of some tape and piece of vinyl tubing.

It turns out they make them commercially and not even expensive.

Between the code book, Amazon, and Home Depot we got the house and barn wired nicely. Even passed inspection - although not without a few changes.

And we are left with enough unused electrical wiring parts and pieces to do another....except they are all the wrong parts or else things that I've learned to do better. I've come to love EMT tubing and my hand bender. And also gotta love the local used building material store where I can never resist buying boxes of someone else's unused electrical parts & unused hardware for a song.

Building our house by ourselves was one of the best things ever. It simply took every evening, weekend, and vacation for years and has been more than worth it.

I've enjoyed every post you've made in this thread. Thanks for all the shared work.
rScotty
When you build it yourself it usually takes more time than having a contractor do it. With that comes the problems as technology advances and you see a better product you want to change to !!!

We lived outside of Chicago for 21 years. Everything in the surrounding counties requires that all electrical be run with EMT. Once i got use to the bending the more i liked it. Plus you don't have to run a ground wire in most applications as the EMT acts as your ground. I done my whole 30x50 pole barn in EMT.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,335  
In reality you guys will be rejoicing as you clean the rental house because you know your hard work is starting to pay dividends towards moving into your own new home you built yourselves !

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,336  
When you build it yourself it usually takes more time than having a contractor do it. With that comes the problems as technology advances and you see a better product you want to change to !!!

We lived outside of Chicago for 21 years. Everything in the surrounding counties requires that all electrical be run with EMT. Once i got use to the bending the more i liked it. Plus you don't have to run a ground wire in most applications as the EMT acts as your ground. I done my whole 30x50 pole barn in EMT.
I had my hay barn professionally wired... to code. But critters are always a part of barns with hay, and the critters ate so much insulation that one day I simply decided to redo the whole barn in EMT.
The event that made the decision was finding a hot wire in a wall - a piece of 12-2 NM-B wG hat had been completely stripped to bare wire. Only air and luck acting as insulators. Wish we had done the house in EMT as well. Much nicer in every respect and especially for rural houses.

Yes, I know the ground is optional with EMT, but I hook it up anyway.
It's just one of the small things that make a owner built home so nice. It's more work for sure.
rScotty

I will say that at some point the Cert. Of Occupancy became the goal. After that, there is still plenty of work... but IT IS DONE!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,338  
Congrats on having hot water! Bet that felt good.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,339  
Quite the complicated system, glad you got it working.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,340  
I had to laugh watching the bucket back feed and fill and overflow. At least it wasn't too much that got out!

Git R dun!