My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,641  
Yeah an experienced crew sure can rip through a place fast. But the "negotiate extra money"???? Did they quote it by osmosis or just reading your mind? How would they not know the basics of the layout?

I hope you got those floors covered!

Got most of the floors covered. Pantry, walk in closet and hallway at backdoor were not. I will be working on those tonight

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,642  
At least you are getting the drywall done. But why didn't the drywall estimator tell you it would be more because of high ceilings ? Guess he didn't have faith in his crew excepting the job as quoted or he gave you a low quote knowing you wanted to get this done then thinking he could squeeze you for more money.

Either way i am sure you just want to get this behind you and move forward ....which is quite understandable !! I am sure the dear wife is at the paint store getting the paint !!!

#3,644  
At least you are getting the drywall done. But why didn't the drywall estimator tell you it would be more because of high ceilings ? Guess he didn't have faith in his crew excepting the job as quoted or he gave you a low quote knowing you wanted to get this done then thinking he could squeeze you for more money.

Either way i am sure you just want to get this behind you and move forward ....which is quite understandable !! I am sure the dear wife is at the paint store getting the paint !!!

It was originally quoted last year. I didn’t know how much work I really had in front of me to get to this point.
When we did it the first time, we were planning on doing the attics. But we decided not to, to save cash. Material costs have gone all over the place since then and labor costs have gone up. I expected it to cost more than last years quote. Was hoping the reduction in board count would offset price increases. The material cost was about the same as before, even with less material. He charges by the board And when he quoted it, he increased it because of the high ceilings. I had assumed hos rate would be higher this year. He has a stellar reputation in this area. The increase didnt come as a shock or surprise. It wasn’t terrible, and I had a crew on site ready to go to work. That all made it very easy to make myself ok with it.
Also, we called him last week when we got the pass on the inspection and if I had already gotten the material, they would have done this last weekend but because of the time that passed the building aupply wanted to come back and re-do the board count.
The only downside I have had is that Marvin didnt think they were gonna finish their last job till Friday, so they would have started here Monday.

The boards were delivered Thursday and I called Marvin that morning so he had confirmation that the material was here. I still had a few things to do but thinking I had the weekend ahead of me I spent the afternoon loading the trailer and going to the dump. I had 6 months of construction/farm debris and wanted to clean up.
He textedme at 3:15 to let me know they would be there the next day to start. So when I got back from the dump I started rolling out ramboard around the stacks of drywall. Jefanna showed up to help and we went till 930. I should have pushed a little harder and finished the last three rooms (half bath, pantry, master closet ). But my back was starting to spasm so I went home and slept for a few hours. Got back here at 5 and started doing the weekend chore list. The last panel coming down the roof, all the way across had a slight cant to it…a slightly lower pitch than the rest of the roof. So I laid a level against the ceiling as a straight edge and found the point where a 12 inch piece of OSB continued that line and padded it out. That was one of the first things the crew boss questioned me on. I demonstrated the lone of the straight edge and he said he could make it work. It worked perfectly and you can’t see the error of my wayward construction.

When I got here late this morning the crew boss told me they needed more screws he said about 10 lbs. I had 5 lbs in the shed and went and bought 10 more. I stopped at a little service station/taqeria and told them I needed food for 8 men. Carnitas, empanadas, beans, rice, salad jalapeños and guacamole. There were only 5 of them but they cleaned house on that when I brought it in.

It is 4:13 in the afternoon on a Saturday. They are in the house finishing up. It looks great. I know that Marvin will make it beautiful. My wife will be happy. She is in the Bachi field hacking at the ground with a mattock. I just cut the eastern slope which I have been meaning to do. Trying to make it into a mountain field for livestock. Next year, it should be feeding the goats and sheep. I could get used to this thing of somebody else building my house for me. But reality will bring me down to earth on that.
BTW. The guy from the building supply company built his own house(GC) 3 years ago and was acting as GC for his friends house being built now and said that everything went up30-50%. He said I was way under on estimate for having mine built as well.
IMG_8312.jpg

I am weeks behind in editing and trying to catch up.

#3,645  
The amount of waste created was phenominal. I know that is how things get built. But it’s still amazing.
IMG_8328.jpg

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,646  
Nothing about your house shape/design is material efficient. Just part of it. (y)

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,648  
Drywall use to be cheap and the waste was not thought about in terms of $$$ as much. I will buy extra though if that means i have less joints to tape !

#3,649  
I am wondering if the dumpster I rented will be big enough it wont get here till Monday so Jefanna and I get a good workout.

#3,650  
I stood there in our bedroom and told Jefanna “Phht. I could have done this.”

There are six pieces of the home build that I farmed out. Foundation, well, septic, metal roof, electric(panel and sub-panel installation ), and drywall. I don’t regret any of those. I probably could have done the septic myself and saved money. But that’s about it.
If I tried to do the drywall myself, it would be another 6 months.