My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,451  
I rarely use my oscillator tool as it is corded. Plus I forget about having it.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,452  
I seem to find new uses for the one I have all the time.
like Eddie, I bought it for flooring, it‘s great for cutting jambs.

Mike

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,453  
The only cordless tools i have are 4 drills and a reciprocating saw. I use the reciprocating saw for out in the woods trimming limbs, roots and bushes. I like my corded tools best. I just prefer to have instant and lasting power. I have electric drills to handle the bigger jobs. Just don't care to be bothered with batteries and charging times. Cordless drills are great as they get used the most ! Yes...i am a product of the 50s !!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,454  
I had my first set of cordless tools about 18 years ago. An 18 V skill saw, reciprocating saw, flashlight and drill. They were great but battery life was terrible. Next was a bosh which was better then I moved to the Dewalt and Makita tools and there is no going back. I still have some corded tools and I still have all my woodworking tools but cordless get way more use. On the farm it is just so convenient not to have to take a generator out to do something.
I used them quite a bit this weekend. Friday I was off and got a call that my Air conditioning equipment was at going to be delivered. By Tractor Trailer. Not possible. So I drove up to Fishersville with my trailer when I get there the manager says I need to take a look at some damage. Three pallets and all three were badly damaged. Holes in boxes and damaged condensers and line sets. I refused the entire order. 66 miles round trip. Spoke to them today and they are sending a whole new order. I put a pressure gauge on the Pex supply plumbing and spent a good part of yesterday and today finding and fixing leaks. I think I have it sorted out.
I also got the main panel wired up. I still have a few lines to put in in but I feel like I’m miles ahead
Of where I was.
IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,455  
The inspector might ask you to cover the wires coming up out of the top of the panel until they get into the joists. If so stick a couple 2x's there and scrap of OSB or plywood over the top of them to box it in. Use screws so you can get access later if needed.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,456  
Great work! Keep pushing.

That pex line situation looks, uh, interesting LOL.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,457  
I got the lines for the back porch light and electric outlet installed and I pulled the line for the air conditioning system for the main room. That one took six gauge wire and I was expecting it to be a lot more difficult than it turned out to be. We have been chasing leaks in the pex plumbing for a couple days. I’ve discussed it on here before and it was the problem of using an inferior grade of Teflon tape, not enough Teflon tape, and not using any pipe dope in the same time. The ones where I use that combination of a good quality Teflon tape wrapped 4 to 5 times around and a good quality pipe dope sealant have given me no problem at all. I dropped a video this morning for the work we did last week got some decent tractor work in there pulling the road.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,458  
I've always thought that you should never mix tape and dope. One or the other. I spend a little extra for the better tape, which has always worked for me.

I forget what your fittings look like. Did you use brass fitting for all your threaded fittings?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,459  
I use tape and dope alternately and together depending on the application. Either should be reliable by themselves or together when compatible.

The biggest factor in threaded fittings is the quality/condition of the threads -- it's not reliable anymore, either due to poor manufacturing or damage from packaging/handling/shipping. Before I started ordering from reliable online suppliers, fittings I used to buy in stores were beat from packaging/handling and the threads had deformations, dents, or chips in them. That's just asking for leaks. They need to be inspected very carefully.

After that, it's all about snugging them up properly and not overdoing it.

My advice: avoid threaded fittings when you can. I never used to pay attention to it, but since threaded fittings have become less reliable over the years, if you can plumb something another way, do it. Not always possible but anytime I can eliminate the need I am happy. Especially on a PEX system that tends to be reliable (I've never ever seen a PEX joint leak) it's always a shame to invite leak points with threaded fittings.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,460  
If I did 4 or 5 wraps of teflon tape, I'd never get the joints even started. That is way too much thickness in my experience. But maybe you have super thin stuff...