My house remodel

/ My house remodel #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Well I decided to start a thread to share my house remodel. I will get some pics of the house and post them. There are not too many before pics of the inside as I have already started tearing apart the upstairs and some of the downstairs but will post pics in a bit of what I have done.

Here is an overview. My house is a two story with full basement and full walk in attic. The basement and first floor both have 9.5' ceilings and the 2nd floor is an 8' ceiling. There are two living rooms, an office, dining room, kitchen and full bathroom on the first floor. 4 bedrooms and a full bathroom on the second floor. The roof is a 12/12 pitch which gives a lot of room in the attic.

What I am going to do is remove completely two chimneys that run from the first floor and basement through the house so they are tall. When they are removed I am going to re-do the roof with new asphalt shingles (Elk brand). I will start this stage in the next couple weeks.

What I have done already is stripped the wall paper from two bedrooms and the upstairs hall and both stair wells leading to the upstairs. There were 6 layers of wall paper on almost all the walls and 3 layers on the ceilings. Ava's room has already had the walls painted. I just need to paint the ceiling and add a border to match her theme to cover the transition line on the wall as its a two tone paint scheme. Then put a new rug in and adjust the old door and her room is done. The hall and other bedroom are ready for paint but need a couple repairs done to the plaster still. The other two bedrooms will be redone completely as well. The upstairs hall and master bedroom have hardwood floors and I will refinish them soon. The upstairs bathroom had a problem and I tore the entire bathroom out already. It is down to the studs and will be redone completely as soon as the main work is done so Ava and I can move in.

All the electric is the old style knob and tube and old style romex with no ground. So all the wiring will be replaced with proper wire and outlets. Smoke and CO detectors will be hard wired in also as I go.

The first floor is going to see all the walls stripped of the paneling and I will inspect the plaster to see if it can be saved or if it will be stripped as well and new drywall put up. The ceilings are all coming down and new drywall is going up with new lighting. While the ceilings are down I am going to install radiant heating under all the upstairs rooms (except the master bedroom as that is the only ceiling not being removed). Each room upstairs will have its own zone so I can shut down rooms not being used and can have each room adjusted how we individually like. The first floor will get radiant heating as well but those joist are exposed from the basement and there will be 3 or 4 zones down there depending on how much tubing each room needs (300' per zone max). The current boiler is about 10 years old and I will replace it with a new high efficiency boiler and replace the current hot water tank with a boiler mate. This will remove the need to replace the chimney as there will only be a 2" pvc pipe coming out the wall.

The front living room is already done. The second living room, dining room and kitchen will be redone and those will be the final rooms before we move in. Once we are living there I will finish the upstairs bathroom then remove the downstairs bathroom. I will move the one wall in the downstairs bathroom back into the office more so that I can move the washer and dryer from the office to the bathroom and have a cleaner look. The office will still be plenty big enough for my use.

I also plan to re-deck the attic floor and a future idea is to finish off the attic to make it a nicer, cleaner more useable room. The cellar will be cleaned and the stone walls painted and floor will have drains installed and concrete repaired where it is missing. I also will add drain pipe around the outside of the house and coat the outside of the cellar walls and add a membrane to the walls to help keep water away from the walls.

There are a few other things that I will do there including repairing the two concrete porches. One is going to be removed and replaced with a wood deck that wraps around the corner of the house and will over look the orchard and rest of the property. This will give me a new place to build a new stair case to the ground where the basement door is. The current stairs are concrete steps that are very rough and slippery. The basement door will be replaced and possibly the front main door if I decide its not worth keeping.

It is a lot of work but is something I am looking forward to. Ava has been helping me with the wall paper and is looking forward to painting. I will post some pics of the interior work so far and take pics of the outside soon and post them later.

/ My house remodel
These are the two stair cases leading to the 2nd floor and Ava's bedroom. Also one of Ava helping remove wall paper :)

Attachments

• 0228002107a.jpg
    0228002107a.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC08226.jpg
    DSC08226.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC08228.jpg
    DSC08228.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 229
   / My house remodel
Here is the upstairs hall way and pics of the upper bathroom being demolished.

Attachments

• DSC08227.jpg
    DSC08227.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0223001320[1].jpg
    0223001320[1].jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 0223001356[1].jpg
    0223001356[1].jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC08239.jpg
    DSC08239.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Upper Bath all stripped.jpg
    Upper Bath all stripped.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 0227001310.jpg
    0227001310.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 201
   / My house remodel #4  
Robert,

Very ambitious. I know you know... be careful of the dust and lead paint. Very troublesome during restoration of a period house.

Cool and interesting project.

Lloyd

/ My house remodel
Robert,

Very ambitious. I know you know... be careful of the dust and lead paint. Very troublesome during restoration of a period house.

Cool and interesting project.

Lloyd

No worries with lead. I am actually a lead abatement contractor and have already address the main lead issues. The walls are not lead and there was not very much lead in this house to begin with. The windows were all replaced and there was one door with lead paint that was removed completely. This was all done when I first bought the house.

When I get ready to strip the ceilings downstairs I will set up the whole house air fitration system as well as use my respirator as I do not like plaster dust and rock wool insulation.

/ My house remodel
Robert, WOW! I'm tired and sore just reading all that you're doing and going to do! Looking forward to the progress.

I enjoy working on my own house. I did the same thing to my last house. It was a top to bottom remodel of a 3 bedroom house. New roof, soffit and siding as well as all new doors and windows, redid the upper bathroom and added a first floor full bathroom. All the walls were scrapped and painted and trim was repaired and painted. The kitchen was a complete remodel and all new floors throughout. The furnace was replaced with a new high efficiency boiler (all new baseboard elements as well) and boiler mate and the chimney was tore out and removed completely (I am not a fan of chimneys). It was a nice house but was in town and I didn't like living in town. I sold it after I bought this house. It really was fun doing my own house as I get to play with new materials and new technology on my own place that we may eventually use on customers homes.

/ My house remodel #8  
Robert, Been there, done that! Good Luck with the project! Jim

/ My house remodel #9  
All I can say is "YIKES"!!! You 'go' guy!!! ~Scotty

/ My house remodel #10  
Quite a project Robert. I like that framing exposed in the bathroom :). Are you adding firestops in the walls if they aren't already in?

I'm sure Ava will remember helping you, kids like that sort of thing - as long as they get an ice cream break now and then :)
Dave.