My GC1710 experience just got better!

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I've been very pleased with my Massey GC1710. It's my little workhorse.

It will soon be joined by a shiny new Massey Ferguson 1758 cab model. Should take delivery in about a month. The 1758 has SSQA FEL, grapple, top-n-tilt, quick hitch, hydraulic controlled landscape rake/blade, box scraper, and rears loaded with rimguard.

Buying the 1758 was just like the 1710. I kicked the Kubota's tires, then bought a Massey!

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #2  
Good luck with it, I love my Massey, Massey always made a good tractor and it's no different today..

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #3  
Good for you.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Massey. I sure you'll be pleased.

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #4  
I'm jealous...not that I have any need for a tractor that size...but it would be fun! Can't wait to see pics of the two next to each other!

/ My GC1710 experience just got better!
Fiz, do you run your chipper on your GC1720. How does it work, and did you consider the 4" model as well?

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #6  
Fiz, do you run your chipper on your GC1720. How does it work, and did you consider the 4" model as well?

Sure do, works great. Considered the larger model, and I think the tractor has enough power to run it just fine. I think the next size up was almost $1K more when I was shopping, I figured it wasn't worth it for the price. I burn most anything over ~3" anyway...either in the wood stove during the winter or in the outdoor fire pit during the summer!

/ My GC1710 experience just got better!
I having difficulty deciding which chipper model to get. A chipper only, or a chipper/shredder? And, whether to fit it to my GC1710, such as your BXM32, or to the bigger MF 1758. Bigger and more power seems better with this particular item?

I don't really understand what a chipper/shredder can do that a chipper cannot. The marketing videos shows a chipper swallowing tree trunks with branches. The units I look at seem to want more HP than my 1710 provides, and if I size one for that HP, then the 1758 tractor is above the HP range. Yikes. But, good info, and glad to hear your BXM32 works well on your GC1720. You have a little more HP than my 1710, but I think the 1710 would run it just fine.

/ My GC1710 experience just got better! #8  
Plowhog, I have a Wallenstein BXM32 chipper shredder. It works great.

As to your question......I use the shredder on leaves. It turns them literally to dust. I just blow it right back out over the lawn and you can't even see it.

It is also handy if you want your chips finer after chipping, just put them back through the shredder and they come out finer.

And the shredder is also way more efficient for small stuff like twigs and stuff. You don't have to use bigger material to feed it through like you do with the chipper. You juts drop them in the top and done.

I've also fed limbs bigger than 3 inch through it and it didn't complain at all, and I only have a 26 h.p. tractor.