My first Muffler Mod

/ My first Muffler Mod
Yeah it picked up around 3 seconds and that was not a big piece of wood. I might advance the timing on this saw next.

/ My first Muffler Mod #4  
Excellent work.

When you say advance the timing, are you talking port timing? Or ignition?

/ My first Muffler Mod
Excellent work.

When you say advance the timing, are you talking port timing? Or ignition?

Thanks. I am going to advance the ignition timing. I don't know enough to mess with the port timing. I am eventually going to port this saw. I have heard they are hard to do because the cylinder is so small. I am going to mess with the 024 Super before I do anymore to this saw.

/ My first Muffler Mod #6  
Check your squish height too. Lots to be gained if you are over 0.020" by going to a thinner base gasket or eliminating it.

/ My first Muffler Mod
Check your squish height too. Lots to be gained if you are over 0.020" by going to a thinner base gasket or eliminating it.

The 170 is a clamshell saw so you can't delete the base gasket to adjust squish. I deleted the base gasket on the 024 and have the squish at .018 IIRC.

/ My first Muffler Mod #8  
The 170 is a clamshell saw so you can't delete the base gasket to adjust squish. I deleted the base gasket on the 024 and have the squish at .018 IIRC.

I see. That sucks then. And probably makes it lots more difficult to do port work to the transfers, unless they are open??

Did you do any before and after testing of the 024? or notice and difference? And what was the squish before?

On almost every saw I have had apart, simply removing the base gasket has resulted in about a perfect .020 squish. Give or take a thousandth:thumbsup:

/ My first Muffler Mod
I see. That sucks then. And probably makes it lots more difficult to do port work to the transfers, unless they are open??

Did you do any before and after testing of the 024? or notice and difference? And what was the squish before?

On almost every saw I have had apart, simply removing the base gasket has resulted in about a perfect .020 squish. Give or take a thousandth:thumbsup:

I did not make a video of it before I deleted the base gasket. The squish is .019'' on it now and was it was .032'' with the gasket. I am working on a video right now of the 024S in the same piece of wood that I tested the MS 170 on.

/ My first Muffler Mod
The cut times for the muffler modded MS 170 were: 10.4, 9.3, and 9.6.

Here is the 024S in the same piece. The second cut for the 024 was 9.5. I am not sure why it is not showing up the video.