My experience with the Chinese clone engine

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
This engine was a replacement for the engine previously on the pressure washer. I took it out for it's third season of use. Since I store all my equipment dry, I put fresh gas in and I cranked the starter pulley and it seemed harder than usual. Did it again and the starter rope broke. Fixed that and coaxed the thing to start. Cleaned what I needed to and as I'm going to shut off the engine which ran for about 5 minutes, I notice the carb hemorrhaging gasoline. I take the carb off and a mixture of oil and gas comes leaking out. This meant the entire crankcase was filled with this mixture and why the engine would not turn over at all now. I took the thing apart out of curiosity and sure enough, out comes the concoction of oil and gas. As I'm peering inside, I'm not thinking they are built that badly. As a matter of fact, it looks pretty stout in there. As I do not have xray vision I cannot tell anything about the quality of metal used but construction seems pretty good. If this Greyhound engine has a cheap carb replacement, I might just button it all back up, fill it with oil and keep this engine as a spare. If it weren't for the seals on the carb failing ( Its a carb I never heard of ?Huay" stating "engineered in Japan") This 79$ engine may have lasted a bit longer.
I replaced it with the Robin pictured and I have to say this engine does seem smoother. For all I know as with Briggs, the Subaru may be coming from China as well. My chainsaw/small engine fix it guy says when all the stuff comes from China, he's getting out of the business.

Attachments

• P6283626.jpg
    P6283626.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 171
  • P6283629.jpg
    P6283629.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 229
  • P6283631.jpg
    P6283631.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 235
   / My experience with the Chinese clone engine #2  
You're post kind of merges the idea of Chinese rip-off companies like the one you bought from, with good international companies that manufacture in China.

That engine looks "stout" as you stated, because those people copied/stole the same material dimensions from an engine Honda Corp. already spent money on developing and engineering years ago. Besides being sleazy, the end result may have sub-standard materials, and material treatments

For example, Both Stihl and Husqvarna make what are considered the highest quality saws. They both have recently opened factories in China. Their quality should/will remain the same. The alternative: You can buy a rip-off copy of those saws, also made in China. Worlds apart. Besides, I feel better if my money goes to the ones I know did all the R+D

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #3  
You're post confuses Chinese rip-off companies like the one you bought from, with good international companies that manufacture in China.

That engine looks "stout" as you stated, because those people copied/stole the same material dimensions from an engine Honda Corp. already spent money on developing and engineering years ago. Besides being sleazy, the end result may have sub-standard materials, and material treatments

For example, Both Stihl and Husqvarna make what are considered the highest quality saws. They both have recently opened factories in China. Their quality should/will remain the same. The alternative: You can buy a rip-off copy of those saws, also made in China. Worlds apart. Besides, I feel better if my money goes to the ones I know did all the R+D

Well, here's the jaded take. In 6 months there will be Steal saws for cheap, copied from the spec built ones.

Edit. Looks like I missed your last sentence.

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #4  
There already are. I'll pay the extra for the real thing, thanks.

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine
You're post kind of merges the idea of Chinese rip-off companies like the one you bought from, with good international companies that manufacture in China.

I wasn't attempting to merge anything. I just opened one up because I was curious and showed folks here what I saw. These engines cannot be manufactured any longer as they are because of a threatened lawsuit from Honda. Harbor Freight now sells them as "Predator" engines with the crankcase of different design. A few years ago HF had a special and was selling these for $99. With a coupon, the price went down to $79. Some folk have had better luck than I but for $79, what was to be expected? I'd take the chance for that silly money. If someone else feels compelled to buy one, that is up to them. I'm not condoning any type of purchase with my observations.

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #6  
I have 6 of these Chinese engines on grain augers , water pumps etc that have a terrible life outside all winter with stale gas and out in the sun all summer some are 5 years old now and I have to say they have been no problem at all .

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #7  
The crappy gas with ethanol is your problem. Not the engine.

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #8  
It doesn't have to be China brand for this to happen, 4 years ago My MIL craftsman mower ( 17 hp ) sit up over the winter and did the same thing, I call it hydro-locked, the safety fuel shut-off solenoid hangs open, if the fuel tank is mounted above the Carburetor it will allow fuel to pass on through, resulting in filling the crankcase, via: ( hydro-lock )
the best way to prevent this from happening on any engine is to install an in-line fuel shutoff between the tank and the carburetor, shut off the fuel and run the engine until it shuts down, burning off all fuel left inside the carb,

/ My experience with the Chinese clone engine #9  
I wasn't attempting to merge anything. I just opened one up because I was curious and showed folks here what I saw. These engines cannot be manufactured any longer as they are because of a threatened lawsuit from Honda. Harbor Freight now sells them as "Predator" engines with the crankcase of different design. A few years ago HF had a special and was selling these for $99. With a coupon, the price went down to $79. Some folk have had better luck than I but for $79, what was to be expected? I'd take the chance for that silly money. If someone else feels compelled to buy one, that is up to them. I'm not condoning any type of purchase with my observations.

It was your last sentence: " Briggs, the Subaru may be coming from China " that I tee-d up on. My point being, those are real companies with real R+D: Totally different than a company that copies other people's ideas.

You mention you already had the starter rope break, and the carb has issues. That's 2 breakdowns. I have 3 different real Honda engines that have had ZERO problems. Usually you get what you pay for.The real companies have been using quality seal materials that have no issues with ethanol, for years now.

I can agree though, if it's a non critical application, like a pressure washer, I can totally see someone buying one for $99.
I think those "Chonda" engines are popular with go-cart people because they can over-rev to race, and when they pop, they are only out 99 bucks.