My BX24 is urking me...

/ My BX24 is urking me... #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Just a post for people looking at / considering the BX24...

All in all - it's been a good tractor that gets the job done... Like I'd say A-, B+ category of machine... but I have to say I'd give it less than a passing grade for the electrical system...

At a bit over 2 years and almost 175 hours on it - and having done everything from belly mow, to snow throw, to FEL to BH to plow, disk and bush hog and a bunch more with it... Here's the list of electrical system issues to date...

Short in wiring of fuel pump that left me stranded several times before I tracked it down and fixed it
Short in starter - drained battery - replaced started - issues resolved
Short in AUX 12V plug that I run a light off of for reverse in snowthrower weather
Blew the console tach/hour meter after it was all of 5 hours old
The water in the switches on the dash issue is a JOKE on a tractor
Faulty PTO / seat sensing switches...
And the latest that prompted this rant - the left headlight "winks" on and off - bulb is fine - it is, guess what - a short somewhere...

Would I expect this (no knocks intended) on a Red "M" tractor or other tractor typically classified in the "second tier" - sure - and for the lower price I wouldn't complain once (I really dig those beefy red M's)...

But I went orange because I was supposed to be free from all this garbage. The Kubota brand is supposed to be amongst the premiere brands in the tractor world...

At this point - I love the BX - but would not go orange again without thinking long and hard about the perception of quality vs the reality of my experience...

Well - enough ranting... back to the barn to trace the latest short in the tractor...

/ My BX24 is urking me... #2  
You must have got a lemon....mine is over a year old with NONE of those problems..knock on wood.

/ My BX24 is urking me... #3  
I've had my BX24 two years and no electrical problems. It almost sounds like your tractor was in flood, at least that is the way car electrical acts up once it has been submerged.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ My BX24 is urking me... #4  
Just a post for people looking at / considering the BX24... I have to say I'd give it less than a passing grade for the electrical system...

Fishpick, thanks for sharing your experiences. Out of curiosity, has the BX24 been left outside overnight from time to time? Might rain water be to blame for some of those electrical system failures?

/ My BX24 is urking me... #5  
IMHO if a tractor can't be left outside it ain't worthy of being called a tractor.

/ My BX24 is urking me...
IMHO if a tractor can't be left outside it ain't worthy of being called a tractor.

I completely agree - THAT SAID - since this is a $17K tractor (all in)... it's been stored in the garage and bar it's whole life... the 3 times it has been out for more than a night and it's rained - that's when I had the joy of experiencing the water in the dashboard button fun...

No flood that's I'm aware of - so far it's been 100% a result of really - REALLY poor craftsmanship / poor design / loose connector...

Maybe it was a Friday afternoon assembly - but Kubota hasn't won a fan I'll tell you that.

/ My BX24 is urking me... #7  
I have had my BX24 for about a year now, about 6 months in I did have the key switch go bad and left the fuel pump running and the tractor wouldn't shut off. Other than that, it has been a good machine. I leave mine out all year long under a deck with no roof.

I agree with C6rider, if you can't leave it out in the weather, then what's the point. I have heard of the switches being one of the short commings of the tractor, but other than the igniton switch I have had no issues.

I did have a light bulb that actually did get a perfect crack all the way around the class, almost as if it was cut. So, I did have to replace one bulb.

For all the wiring that is on a BX, I would think that they could produce a little better product with that in mind.

My biggest complaint is keeping that stupid rubber handlegrip on the throttle.

/ My BX24 is urking me... #8  

That for sure. I've left mine out for the last three weeks. 5 inches of rain so far. I hope it shorts out.

/ My BX24 is urking me... #9  
My BX1500 has well over 1000hrs, 5yrs, and been left out in countless rainstorms. The seat switches are giving some trouble lately. Thats about it.
larry

/ My BX24 is urking me... #10  
I would have to agree with Skyco, mine is over a year old, done all you did, and not a thing wrong. Always ready to go and still amazes me with its power....