MX5800 stalling out occasionally

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Like the title says, occasionally she'll start to stall out on me but if I let off the gas it idles back up. It almost seems like it could be the sensor under the seat? Would it help if I adjusted the seat suspension adjustment handle so it's more plush / less stiff? It's very hilly here & now that I think about it, I can't recall that it's done it anywhere else or even on flat ground here... Any ideas?

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #2  
Like the title says, occasionally she'll start to stall out on me but if I let off the gas it idles back up. It almost seems like it could be the sensor under the seat? Would it help if I adjusted the seat suspension adjustment handle so it's more plush / less stiff? It's very hilly here & now that I think about it, I can't recall that it's done it anywhere else or even on flat ground here... Any ideas?

My MX5200 will start to stall if I adjust my weight on the seat, so you may be on the rigtht track

Andy

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #3  
It almost seems like it could be the sensor under the seat?..It's very hilly here & now that I think about it, I can't recall that it's done it anywhere else or even on flat ground here... Any ideas?
You are already on the money! The seat switch is the likely cause, adjusting suspension wouldn't help I expect, but you may be able to adjust the switch.
From the manual
This tractor is equipped with Operator Presence Control (OPC) system. The engine stops automatically when the operator stands from the seat while engaging PTO, depressing speed control pedal (HST controlpedal) or engaging shuttle shift lever.
EDIT: AndyMA beat me to it!

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #4  

"[L]et off the gas...?"

What do you mean? Are you speaking about the hydro pedal?

Are you overloading the engine by pushing too hard on the hydro pedal? If so, increase throttle and decrease hydro pedal.

If the engine is shutting down as if you turned the key switch off when on steep side slopes and/or you are leaning to the side in the seat, tighten the seat belt and/or short out the seat switch.

SDT

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #5  
My MX5200 will start to stall if I adjust my weight on the seat, so you may be on the rigtht track

Andy

Mine does this and even dies if I do not reposition my butt fast enough.
It drives me nuts when I am trying to look over the hood to see my Quick connect alignment with the implements.

Wish I could disable it all together.

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #6  
On my L3200 I used a zip tie to hold the lever on the seat presence sensor down. It was easily reversed when I sold it (and a couple times when it just came loose on its own). Not sure if your sensor is the same. It had 3 wires going to it, so would have been more complex than jumpering things closed to bypass the switch. Not rocket science hard, but definitely harder than just throwing a zip tie on.

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #7  
On my L3200 I used a zip tie to hold the lever on the seat presence sensor down. It was easily reversed when I sold it (and a couple times when it just came loose on its own). Not sure if your sensor is the same. It had 3 wires going to it, so would have been more complex than jumpering things closed to bypass the switch. Not rocket science hard, but definitely harder than just throwing a zip tie on.

A zip tie worked on my B3350.

The L6060 was more of a task. I ended up removing the seat to disassemble it and fabricated a jumper wire assembly for the operator sensor switch which is inside the seat.

SDT

Last edited:
   / MX5800 stalling out occasionally #8  
A zip tie worked on my B3350.

The L6060 was more of a task. I ended up removing the seat to disassemble it and fabricated a jumper wire assembly for the operator sensor switch which is indide the seat.

SDT
I havent bothered with it on my new L4060. The cab stops me from standing to look at the tips of my pallet forks, which was a primary issue on the L3200. So it hasn't really bothered me enough to bother looking. I have the air ride seat, so the sensor is burried in there, as you can't flip the seat up. Not sure if that an air ride seat "feature" or a cabbed tractor thing. When I asked my dealer about how to run the PTO when I wasnt in the seat, the answer was either you can't, or put something heavy in the seat. Something heavy is an easy enough work around when I need to run the PTO generator, which I havent needed yet, I havent bothered with bypassing the wiring.

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #9  
I havent bothered with it on my new L4060. The cab stops me from standing to look at the tips of my pallet forks, which was a primary issue on the L3200. So it hasn't really bothered me enough to bother looking. I have the air ride seat, so the sensor is burried in there, as you can't flip the seat up. Not sure if that an air ride seat "feature" or a cabbed tractor thing. When I asked my dealer about how to run the PTO when I wasnt in the seat, the answer was either you can't, or put something heavy in the seat. Something heavy is an easy enough work around when I need to run the PTO generator, which I havent needed yet, I havent bothered with bypassing the wiring.

If it's like my MX5200 you don't need to weight the seat to run the PTO when your not in the seat. Just flip the seat up away from the lever.

Use it all the tiem with my Valby Wood Chipper

Andy

/ MX5800 stalling out occasionally #10  
I'm a runner and weigh 115lbs and 120lbs wet.

I have this problem all the time on certain machines. My BX2200 doesn't have the issue.