MX10 on a MX5800?

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Anyone running a really big brush hog on their MX? Been shopping for a while and an MX10 just popped up for a reasonable price so I'm doing big my research :anyone:

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #2  
I don't have a orange tractor, but I do have a 10' cutter. My 70HP is pretty good with it, but my 85HP handles it better in heavy cutting. According to TractorData.com, you have 61 HP. That should be adequate, but certainly not over-powered.

Couple Q's.
Is it a 3PH, semi-mount, or pull type? I don't know if your tractor weighs enough to safely handle the 3PH. You might get by ok with the semi-mount, but pull type would be best.
What are you going to be cutting? If you're just clipping the top of a grazing pasture, that's quite different from bush hogging weeds and brush that are as tall as your tractor hood.

And just an observation. I personally won't ever buy a "medium" duty anything again. Several years ago, I bought a "medium" duty 7' Rhino. I ruined the tail wheel on it the second time I used it. (backing into a creek channel) Dealer said that was "abuse," so I was left to fix a brand new cutter on my own. I put a "Heavy" duty tail wheel on it, and haven't had any more problems. JMHO

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #3  
I know LD1 is running an 8' twin spindle on his mx5100. You have a few more ponies, so I'm sure you could spin it. Is your MX hydrostatic? If so, that will help because you won't be limited to a gear that may be too fast or too slow, if you know what I mean.

Like Bigfoot says, though it'll depend on what you're cutting. A big twin spindle, 8-10' would be great for pastures, but for clearing brush and cutting rougher stuff, I'd want a heavy duty 6' behind that tractor. You'll just have to get both. :)

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #4  
I'll echo the other guys. I have an full mount Mx10 behind my 5083 and I would not want any less tractor in front of it. I do mow hills steep enough that I can only climb them in 4wd to prevent tearing ruts in them and in fields that get mowed once a year that get taller than my 11.2-24 front tires. There are some on here who would mow at 1mph and be content. That is not me nor something that I would recommend.

If it's a semi or a towed behind you could try it and see if you like it. If it's a full mount don't even bother unless you don't want to pick the tail wheels off the ground.

/ MX10 on a MX5800?
Thanks fellas, you've given me a lot of good input. My big concern was the "medium" duty rating knowing I intend to do heavy duty stuff and it's probably pushing the tractor. Primary it's trying to clean up long over grown planted forest so it's a lot of 1" and less saplings of just about every local variety and lots of blackberry bushes.

Here's a link John Deere bush hog to the unit that caught my eye. So tow with hydrolic rears.

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #6  
For mowing saplings I'd want a heavy duty single spindle. You could maybe use a 7', but I think a 6' will be much easier for your tractor to handle. I'm referring to the forces put on the tractor by the mower bouncing around, etc, not the ability to spin the blades.

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #7  
My neighbor has a 6' Brown 672HD. He has let me use it - my M6040 is at the very lower limit of power and the weight of this cutter exceeds the recommended lift of my 3-point. But, oh my God - what a beast of a cutter. He uses it in an offset 3-point hitch arrangement on a 125 hp tractor to maintain fence lines. He laughs at the extremely careful way I use it - but I don't need to be repairing or buying a new one for him - they list for a little less than $7K.

I've had my eye set on a Brown 416 which is well within the power and 3-point weight limits of my tractor. Also - its around $4K less - minor point, minor point, ha,ha.

/ MX10 on a MX5800? #8  
your owners manual should give you the max implement limitations for your tractor. not sure the specs on what you are considering, i have a hd 3ph rhino 8' twin @2k lbs. i'd say you'd be fine w/a pull type, but wouldn't dream of putting something like that (lift type) on a tractor of your size, esp from a safety viewpoint. but some here think it's ok, just my thoughts. good luck. btw i'm not a big fan of 7'hogs, id say a hd 6' (owned one myself on a mx 5000)would be a good match if you wanted a lift type best regards

Last edited:
   / MX10 on a MX5800? #9  
Since it is a semi mount you can handle it if you have front ballast on your tractor. You will probably not be able to mow fast in the heavy stuff but you can slow down. Cutter looks like a good buy but I am always leery of painted used equipment. I would find out how old it was and how much use it had. I am not fond of those tires either. I've changed too many flats hogging and don't like aired tires for hogs. That is my personal preference. That cutter should handle 1" material fine. How well it would hold up in heavier stuff I don't know.

I used to run a 10" Howse with an Allis Chalmers 8050 2WD. Believe it or not that 150 HP tractor would get light on the front when I lifted the cutter. The tractor did not have any front weights and with a 106" wheel base that 1800# cutter leveraged the tractor quite a bit when lifted.

If you decide to get it keep us up to date on how you get along. That seems like a fair price to me if it is in good working condition. Just need to get the history of the cutter if possible.

Ooisk go ahead and get the Brown 416. I really like my 472. They make a good unit.