Must have Shelter

/ Must have Shelter #1  

Kubota-monkey

Silver Member
Tractor
L35 with bt900 backoe and box scraper + grader blade
I need shelter quick to house my L35. Does anyone know of anything thing such as a fabric tent or on that idea to put up so I can store my tractor under until my garage is finished?

/ Must have Shelter #2  
Scruffy provided a good linkf for temp shelters within the 'Oxidation on FEL' thread, 'In the Shop' category.

/ Must have Shelter #3  
Ben,
They do sell what your looking for.
Have you try your local buiding supply store.
These units have a pipe frame and the cover like a heavy tarp,and can stand a good snow load.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Must have Shelter #4  
You might also take a look at www.harborfreight.com. They have a cheaper unit for $199. that would do the trick. I wouldn't recommend it for long term, but for a season or so, it may do the job. IMHO the structure listed on http://www.rbshome.com/ offers the best bang for the buck!
Hope you see what you need and can live with!

/ Must have Shelter #5  
Kubota-Monkey,

I just did the exact thing you are talking about! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I just bought a L3410 HST with FEL and needed a dry spot to keep it out of the weather, but my shop is full of old Mercury Cougars so it has to live elsewhere. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I bought a 12' wide by 20' long and 8'6" tall round top shelter from our local "Menards" store for $299. The instructions claim 2 people can erect it in 3 hours. After spending 2 hours prepairing the site in the woods behind my shop, it actually did go up in about 3 hours. The material is fairly thick and being out of the wind and sun, I hope it will last the claimed 3-5 years. I am impressed by the amount of light that gets inside the shelter and the general quality. The tubes and support feet are all thick metal and galvanized. I don't know if your L35 will fit in the one I bought, but for under $600 they could order one 14' wide X 30' long and 10' high.
Happy Tractoring!

/ Must have Shelter #6  
I put up what amounts to a 25' x 14' tent with a steel frame. The price was a lot more than mentioned here (about $1100Can). These are shelters used in arctic conditions but are also supplied with covers that tolerate the sun in temperate areas. The estimated life of the cover is seven years in continuous service. The shelters are claimed to be snow, but not rain proof. In fact, they do pretty well in the rain.

The tent is supplied with 4' anchors, and the covers have wide aprons at the bottom. Recommended installation is to cover the aprons with around 6" of gravel. Mine has stood up is pretty good winds.

This type of product is very different from the 'picnic' sort of things sold in box stores. There are quite a few in use around here as permanent structures, and a neighbour has three of them. They basically are fairly inexpensive and durable for their size. Their advantage over pole structures is that they can be taken down and moved. another advantage is that they don't require a building permit, except for the very large sizes.

The only maintenance needed so far is that the snow does need to be cleared off the top sometimes. The structure will carry a fair load, but it's still not a framed roof. Snow removal is just pushing up on the roof from the inside. The cover is slick, and the snow just slides off.

Next year, I'll probably build my equipment shed. I said that last year, maybe it's because the shelter works well and I lost my motivation. Of course, with this year's implement purchases, I'm out of space and my motivation will probably return.

/ Must have Shelter #7  
TomG, the structures depicted on rbshome.com are of the nature you describe. The starting prices are below $500 and go from there. The basic structure is (I believe)8hx12wx20 long, but don't quote me as its been awhile since I looked at their site. They are engineered for snow loads, 100 mph winds, solar effects, etc. They also look quite nice, but I know nothing about them personally, so it would be one persons opinion.

/ Must have Shelter #8  
Yep, the differences between Can & U.S. prices have gotten pretty extreme, given exchange rates in the 90's. I got my shelter from a Northern Ontario company near here. I don't know if they have a web site.

The company has units many units installed in arctic conditions. There is another company more distant that sells it's units for less. Their products may be of similar quality, but the one company has a well-known record for performance in arctic conditions. Anyway, the existence of similar products priced $500 U.S. and $1100 Can doesn't surprise me anymore.

The shelter has worked out real well for us, even if my wife doesn't like the looks of it. We figured we definitely needed something last year about this time, and the building season is just about done here. The shelter didn't cost a bunch and installed in under a day. I'd do the same thing again, and I sure wouldn't go for a lesser (picnic) type of product.

/ Must have Shelter #9  
several of the building supply centers in this area sell a metal, "portable" carport for a pretty good price, you might have to duck your head to put your tractor in, but it would surely beat a tent; a 12x20 sells for @$750 installed.
i guess it could always be installed on rr crossties to raise the height if needed..
heehaw