Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #11  
[QUOTE="BukitCase; Oh well, when I get to the hoe splitter project maybe I'll have the indexable carbide face mill cutter for the Grizz (who'm I kidding, of course I will :D )... Steve[/QUOTE] Steve save your money for your old age supplements. You're more than welcome to borrow mine when you need it. :) Terry

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #12  
[
Double post.

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #13  
Terry, I appreciate the offer but eventually the postage would probably equal the cost of buying :rolleyes:

Oh, and I liked your PREVIOUS "double post" much better :D ...Steve

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #14  
Maybe Steve is referring to gouging tips ? I have the Miller Extreme 625 which is probably slightly inferior to his PM 45. Bit of a toss up but I think I would use the oxy/acet and have better freehand control with the longer torch if I didn't have a milling machine.

Terry

You really don't need gouging tips. Simply turn down the amps to about 40 and lay that torch over and gouge. I'm not sure about the other brands but the Thermal Dynamics units have a very long arc and gouge perfectly with standard tips. Try it with yours.

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness
The older 220v version of the Spectrum 625 also has a long arc. Different tip sizes are available, but it does gouge pretty good as long as your not using the drag tips. I dont know how the newer Extremes perform

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #16  
muddstopper, I'm only a hobbyist welder and would not trust my skills for your project. However there are options......

View attachment 399639

Terry

Never have tried to split wood with an axe...or are you saying there are options on a better source of heat than fire?

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #17  
Never have tried to split wood with an axe...or are you saying there are options on a better source of heat than fire?

Those with a history of heart disease or at risk such as high blood pressure should always consult with a doctor before entertaining alternative heat sources.

Terry

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #18  
I to am working on my processor wedge design. The other day I grabbed a 1/2 by 4" piece of hot rolled that was 24" long. I have an old table saw with cast iron table and the engine is belt driven and away from the chips. I used an old 7-1/2 inch carbide wood blade that was dull for wood. Set up the rip fence and slowly ripped the piece. I had a hand pumped sprayer full of water and directed that on to the cutting area. I was surprised how well it worked. Lots of chips so dress accordingly. (be safe).. That was with a 3400 rpm motor. I just put a 1720 rpm motor on but haven't tried it out yet. Yes the edge was sharp. Previously had set up a band saw but am currently out of blades so I had heard of the table saw method and decided to give it a try. Debating buying cutting edges from discount steel on line but am still researching welding astm 1055.

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness
I have cut thin metal on a table saw before and you can buy blades specificly designed to cut steel that will fit a table saw. Just not sure I want my head anywhere around while pushing a piece of steel thru a table saw. Kind of reminds me of the thread about converting a craftsmans radial arm saw to a metal cutting saw. I read the thread and thought about giving it a try since I had a craftsman saw sitting in the basement not being used. I just couldnt bring myself to trust it, so i donated the saw to a benefit auction to eliminate the temptation. I have seen several armsaw conversions on Youtube so I know it can be done, but just saying???

/ Multisplit woodsplitter wedge design, metal thickness #20  
I cut about 20 feet of double bevel on 1 inch stainless one night on overtime in about 4 hours using a 6 inch grinder and zip wheels