Mufflers on small CUTs

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I was at a dealership looking at some LS 2s. The exhaust on them runs forward on the left side of the engine and terminates right at the front near the bottom of the engine cowling. It seems like this is a potential problem. I found this picture of the Case version. You can see it if you zoom in a bit. Has anyone run into trouble with this?

The 3s are higher up and don't go to the end...plus the terminus faces the back. In short it seems much better protected.
1633301304317.png

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #2  
I had a SCUT (LS MT125), and now my small compact (LS XG3025) and they both exit as on the Case (by the way, it's made by LS for Case). No problem at all with the exhaust in that spot, except for the loader arm getting a little bit sooty. Basically because when starting, the loader arm is down and the most soot is at startup.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs
I had a SCUT (LS MT125), and now my small compact (LS XG3025) and they both exit as on the Case (by the way, it's made by LS for Case). No problem at all with the exhaust in that spot, except for the loader arm getting a little bit sooty. Basically because when starting, the loader arm is down and the most soot is at startup.
Thanks. I knew LS made Case and NH models. I used this pic because it showed the exhaust well. I am just imagining picking up brush and branches and having them damage the exhaust. LS seems priced well enough that the 3 series or bigger will not be out of reach.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #4  
I think you would have a very hard time damaging the exhaust at that location. Mine is the same, and it's tucked far enough up in there that plenty of the rest of the tractor is going to hit the object before the exhaust does. The only reason I wish mine was a vertical stack out of the hood, was so that when I'm mowing, My exhaust isn't blowing chaff up in the air in front of the grill, coolers and radiator.

But damage? I can't see how you could do anything to damage the exhaust that won't tear big chunks of tractor off the front end first.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #5  
My NH has the exhaust in this location, and it is a little less tucked in, too. There's a picture here that illustrates it pretty well:

I really dislike this. It's the worst feature of the machine, in my opinion. Not because it catches things, but because I'm always breathing the exhaust, and always smell like it after seat time. I don't get it -- why do they put the exhaust plume where you're driving? My biggest customization, which I still have not gotten done, is to add a vertical exhaust a bit ahead of the clutch pedal. My old Kubota had a vertical exhaust and had none of this problem.

Is there a business opportunity here? I'd pay a few hundred dollars to fix this, maybe even $1000 if you hit me on the right day!

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #6  
Sticks & branches can find a way into the darnedest of places.

Chances are heat may do more damage to the side panel than anything else.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #7  
Kioti's CK has it there as well. No problems so far.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #8  
My NH Workmaster 37 has it in a similar location on the other side. It’s tucked in tight and has caused no problems.
IMG_0180.JPG

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #9  
My NH has the exhaust in this location, and it is a little less tucked in, too. There's a picture here that illustrates it pretty well:

I really dislike this. It's the worst feature of the machine, in my opinion. Not because it catches things, but because I'm always breathing the exhaust, and always smell like it after seat time. I don't get it -- why do they put the exhaust plume where you're driving? My biggest customization, which I still have not gotten done, is to add a vertical exhaust a bit ahead of the clutch pedal. My old Kubota had a vertical exhaust and had none of this problem.

Is there a business opportunity here? I'd pay a few hundred dollars to fix this, maybe even $1000 if you hit me on the right day!
Sounds to me like you should have bought a gas tractor.

/ Mufflers on small CUTs #10  
I changed the exhaust on my Kioti CK27 to vertical. It runs good and gets me about 14 hours of pushing snow to a tank full.