MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
My snow thrower was stuck in high gear. I opened it up and found that the pin going to the friction wheel assembly had come out. I put it back in and it came out again. There doesn't appear to be any way to connect it to the shift arm assembly Am I missing something?
20181121_143054.jpg20181121_143159.jpg

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #2  
I've not worked on blowers in sometime. I could look it up and see if the pin is serviced w/ the arm. Looks likely. Post the model number from the chassis tag if so. Could you cheat and use a bolt and a nut instead of the pin?

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #3  
My snow thrower was stuck in high gear. I opened it up and found that the pin going to the friction wheel assembly had come out. I put it back in and it came out again. There doesn't appear to be any way to connect it to the shift arm assembly Am I missing something?
View attachment 579880View attachment 579879

I have a similar blower Need to look at it - but

The factory may have press fit or spot welded the pin and it may have failed.

I would probably reinsert it through the arm and into the recess in the drive wheel housing assembly and tack weld it to the arm in a couple places.

Just checked and it appears to be a press fit.
So if you have a welder that would be the 1st choice
if not maybe some jb weld where it press fits

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin
I've not worked on blowers in sometime. I could look it up and see if the pin is serviced w/ the arm. Looks likely. Post the model number from the chassis tag if so. Could you cheat and use a bolt and a nut instead of the pin?

Thanks, I poured over the parts lists in the manual but couldn't find it. the model # is 31AS640F352.

I'll have to look to see if a bolt and nut would work but I think the nut might get in the way.

I have a similar blower Need to look at it - but

The factory may have press fit or spot welded the pin and it may have failed.

I would probably reinsert it through the arm and into the recess in the drive wheel housing assembly and tack weld it to the arm in a couple places.

Just checked and it appears to be a press fit.
So if you have a welder that would be the 1st choice
if not maybe some jb weld where it press fits

Thanks for taking the time to look at yours. I will probably try to weld it. I am hoping that I can remove the arm to do it because of the gas. I do have some JB Weld. Is that stuff really strong enough for something like this?

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #6  
Yeah welding would be the thing. You could pop the whole engine off easy enough if you were concerned about the fuel. Dunno how easily the arm would come out. JB could very well hold as you have the surface area of the head for it to grab- provided the friction wheel assy always glides easily on the shaft. 684-04243 is the PN

I got the pin welded. It isn't pretty but it works.
20181123_111829.jpg
20181123_105720.jpg

I have had this blower since 03 and since day one it has run rough- surging, but it always did the job. So after getting this pin issue fixed, I took it for a spin and for the first time it stalls under load! The plug looks fine and is gapped correctly. Oil is at level. I always stored it with Stabil in the gas. I guess, I am going to learn how to tune up a small engine :) Any pointers on where to start?It's a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #8  
Many times you can get away with dropping the float bowl to clean it and the small holes in the main jet- which is in the bowl nut. Flush some fresh fuel through the line and give it a try. Best to replace the seal and if the edge of the bowl is corroded, best to replace it as well.

/ MTD Snow thrower Friction wheel pin #9  
I got the pin welded. It isn't pretty but it works.
View attachment 580150
View attachment 580149

I have had this blower since 03 and since day one it has run rough- surging, but it always did the job. So after getting this pin issue fixed, I took it for a spin and for the first time it stalls under load! The plug looks fine and is gapped correctly. Oil is at level. I always stored it with Stabil in the gas. I guess, I am going to learn how to tune up a small engine :) Any pointers on where to start?It's a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110

Glad you got the pin welded.

Concerning the surging

assuming the governor shaft linkage is tight and adjusted correctly...

I bought a wheeled tecumseh snow king (like yours) and then a 10 HP track drive snow king powered blower- they were identical engines other than the 10 hp track drive would surge.

i knew it was because the carb was running lean but the carb had no adjustments that could be made.
after multiple cleanings I stole the carb off the 8 HP which had both low speed jet adjustment and main jet mixture adjustment .

Every year after I get it warmed up just do a little fine tune on the main jet screw and it runs great No surging.
If your snow king has no adjustments I would try cleaning the jets carefully - if that does not cure the surging- Then buy the older design that has the adjustable main jet. Easy to adjust on the fly because it sticks out the bottom of the float bowl:thumbsup:

Heck at the $11-$18 price on ebay and amazon maybe just get a new 1 With the mixture adjustment capability

ps. If your carb has the main jet sticking out of the float bowl just give it a 1/2 turn or so (out) and try it.

Last edited:
Glad you got the pin welded.

Concerning the surging

assuming the governor shaft linkage is tight and adjusted correctly...

I bought a wheeled tecumseh snow king (like yours) and then a 10 HP track drive snow king powered blower- they were identical engines other than the 10 hp track drive would surge.

i knew it was because the carb was running lean but the carb had no adjustments that could be made.
after multiple cleanings I stole the carb off the 8 HP which had both low speed jet adjustment and main jet mixture adjustment .

Every year after I get it warmed up just do a little fine tune on the main jet screw and it runs great No surging.
If your snow king has no adjustments I would try cleaning the jets carefully - if that does not cure the surging- Then buy the older design that has the adjustable main jet. Easy to adjust on the fly because it sticks out the bottom of the float bowl:thumbsup:

Heck at the $11-$18 price on ebay and amazon maybe just get a new 1 With the mixture adjustment capability

ps. If your carb has the main jet sticking out of the float bowl just give it a 1/2 turn or so (out) and try it.

I have the carb with no adjustment. Before reading your post, I found a replacement carb with a gasket, shut off, and small filter on Amazon for $16 and ordered it. I didn't realize I could have gone with the hi / lo adjustable one. I was surprised how cheap they were. If I have issues with the one I bought, I'll try the other style.