MT225s Backhoe - Thumb Bracket Too Weak?

/ MT225s Backhoe - Thumb Bracket Too Weak? #1  

wraven

Tractor
LS MT225S and a Huskee that identifies as a CASE Magnum 240
IMG_8053.jpg

I didn’t think I was being too rough on it but I managed to break it in under 5 hours. I can repair this one or I can fabricate a new and stronger bracket. My concern is that if the thumb gets stronger, what becomes the “new” weakest link?

Please let me know your thoughts...

/ MT225s Backhoe - Thumb Bracket Too Weak? #2  
The fixed thumb arm needs to be more HD than what appears to be 1/8" steel? I bent my Cat 1 Brotek thumb within a week, and Richard shipped a new Cat 2 (1") setup and thumb.

From the looks of the teeth you are getting into rock, so get a better extension arm or build one - it's the weak link and should not impact any other BH functions - its just too much stress on that part.

/ MT225s Backhoe - Thumb Bracket Too Weak? #3  
I'm not certain, but I think you are wise to think twice about making that stronger. Did you talk to the dealer to see if it would be under warranty, I don't know about stuff like that. A good dealer should try and fight for you to get things covered, and I'd be a bit upset if something broke after only 5 hours use. If you were using it properly, it would be good feedback, I know my dealer said LS really listens to their dealers and takes a lot of their suggestions. I'd at least ask if this is a common breakage, if he thinks it is designed weakly etc...maybe he's seen results of other customers making that part stronger and breaking worse somewhere else, I don't know.

With most things I default to the manufacturer, especially if it's still under warranty. If you modify anything, it gives them an out if you ever go to break anything that could be related.
I generally also default to the manufacturer, because in most cases, things are designed a certain way for a reason. Sometimes you can argue cost savings and them trying to skimp by, and in some cases, maybe this one, you have an argument, but back to the money idea, manufacturers also don't want to always be paying out for warranty work so it is in their best interest to design things at least past the point where it will break after warranty.