Mowing Fence Mow

/ Mowing Fence Mow #1  

walker450

Platinum Member
Tractor
M5040, BX25D, F2880, ZD1211, GR2120
Not sure how to describe this, but my goal is to cut some of the very tall grass growing under a barb wire fence that I will be taking out. I like the idea of a bar that would stick out approximately 6 inches past the brush hog at an angle to grab grass under the fence and draw it into the brush hog cutting area.... if it was spring loaded it would hit the t-post and go right back each time. I am about to test a stationary version and will post results.

I don't have to cut every blade to the ground, if I can cut most of the grass it will help tremendously.

Attachments

• 20220702_132600.jpg
    20220702_132600.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 300
  • 20220702_132554.jpg
    20220702_132554.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 291
   / Mowing Fence Mow #2  
I've found at best such an idea will clip the tops of that grass off and not cut much of it at all. I've never tried your idea I'm just going off of grass that is laid over and I've mowed it and that is the result. Interested in seeing how it works though as if it works well I will sing your praises and copy it.

/ Mowing Fence Mow
If I could cut even half the grass it would help a lot for what I am doing, once the fence is removed I will brush hog it down nice and low at that time.

I tried the bar and it did not work the way I had it. I think if the bar came from under the actual deck and stuck out it would help.

I don't know how I could do this and it be spring loaded without extensive fabricating, so I will no longer pursue this as an option.

Also, the height of the barb wire is a huge factor as well and slight variations made it impractical.

/ Mowing Fence Mow #4  
There is a risk that the bar could get knocked back into the PTO shaft. You do not want the bar to start flaying around the PTO. Could be extremely dangerous, particularly if the PTO shaft launches the bar into your body.

/ Mowing Fence Mow #5  
If your fence posts are far enough apart, try backing the end of the mower under it. Pain to keep repositioning, of course.

/ Mowing Fence Mow #6  
IMG_5204.JPG

Dr makes one also
IMG_5205.JPG

/ Mowing Fence Mow #7  
Have you thought of using a spring type arm that's used on a old New Holland hay rack. Would be safer than a bar and it's spring loaded where it mounts.

/ Mowing Fence Mow #8  
a sickle bar mowing machine is what you need. slip right under the fence and mow all the way up to the post.

/ Mowing Fence Mow #9  
a sickle bar mowing machine is what you need. slip right under the fence and mow all the way up to the post.

How do you get the bar under the fence wire, on the ground, go 10-16 feet and get it back up and around the next post, and start over?

I think the answer is why all these other ideas have been considered.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Mowing Fence Mow #10  
but my goal is to cut some of the very tall grass growing under a barb wire fence that I will be taking out.
How much fence? Dozens of feet? Hundreds of feet? Miles? That will help decide whether or not it's worth buying something special. There are walk behind string trimmers that might be one possibility.

Is there a reason you can't take the fence out before mowing? Is it something you can spray first?