mowers for Farmall A

/ mowers for Farmall A #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
So, I've had my '41 Farmall A since Fourth of July. However, I have no attachments. It has been fun to drive; I have attached a small trailer for some minor chores.

I would like to get a mower for it. I am trying to figure out if I should get a bely mower, sickle mower, or pull behind.

I mow my Dad's 7.5 flat acres of field. I also mow my hilly, some spots rocky and brushy, property.

Keep in mind, I do have my Kubota B8200 with a 3pt rotary 4' mower. I would use it on the hills, and for heavy work.
The Farmall has been resored and painted; I would like to keep it shiny, so would prefer to keep it on light work.

Any recomendations or opinions?

Thanks! Robert

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ mowers for Farmall A #2  
Woods still builds mowers for these tractors. Frustrating as they are as when you shift or step on the clutch they stop.

/ mowers for Farmall A #3  
Robert,
Depends on the finish look your looking for.
Since you already have a rotary mower and will use it than your down to 2 choices.
The sickle mower good for getting those hard to get places close,but doesn't cut all that close to the ground,and if you hit something out comes the file once again./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
The pull behinds are okay..but with out a good 3pt hitch system it going to be hard to get into tight areas.
The belly mower does a fine job and looks great on a restored A./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I would choice the belly mower./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

You may want to consider your rated rpm before purchasing.
I believe your rpms are about 1400,drawbar about 13hp and the belt pto about hp 17.

Glad to read there some of us still out there who likes the old iron./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Take care and have fun also stay/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ mowers for Farmall A
Your numbers are right on with the numbers I found.

She's a blast to putt around on! I'm thinking about finding electrics for her, but the crank start suits me fine too! She fires up real easy.

I just want to do some field mowing. I have very little lawn. I am leaning towards a belly mower; I agree they look good on a gussied up tractor. The sickle would be nice for getting the side of our road though.

The belly mower would look ok in a parade too. I think maybe I'll check into those first.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif