Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
So yesterday was a day like any other warm season day. Its either farming hay, mowing fields, stacking barns, trucking hay.
This time it was field mowing. I had 4 fields to mow from 3 to 15 acres each. Got started at 6:30 AM and all went well. As I was finishing up the 4th field, I noticed my arms were itchy. I was in my Kubota M-126X and pulling my Deere CX-15 mower and theres a lot of dust & chaff floating around. Even though I was in a cab, I opened the doors to get in and out several times. By about 5:30, I drove back to the shop and put everything away.
I was stunned to see my arms were covered with what looked like hives or some kind of allergic reaction, which I have NEVER had. I thought it was some kind of poison ivy or sumac, etc.
It was actually growing while I was looking at my arms and legs. Then my left eye began to swell shut! The red patches turned to felt lumps with an almost liquid filled appearance. YUK:eek:
Jumped in my truck and drove straight to the local clinic. They took me in quickly and ended up giving me a steroid shot and making me stay until about 7:30. Went home and showered and it began to subside. 90% of it was gone this morning. Now its all gone!!!
Called our dermatologist this morning and she is supposed to get back with me later.
I did not eat anything different, I did not use a different laundry detergent. Im very healthy overall and my wife calls me the town blacksmith :laughing:
But seriously, no medications or underlying conditions.
Any ideas what it might have been? Anyone else ever get a similar reaction?
I was thinking I mowed some kind of weed that reacted with my immune system.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #2  
Severe Poison Ivy reaction.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #3  
I would guess it was something you ate first. Weeds would be my 2nd choice.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic

Doc at clinic said not poison ivy. It appeared and left in less than 12 hours. Poison ivy would leave more of a rash for days.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #5  
This would be my guess as well, or stinging nettles, but the whole cycle from first exposure to all gone in less than 36 hours seems kinda quick. Let us know what your dermatologist says.

on edit: I appear to be a slow typist.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic
This would be my guess as well, or stinging nettles, but the whole cycle from first exposure to all gone in less than 36 hours seems kinda quick. Let us know what your dermatologist says.

Gone in Less than 12 hours!
Had PO and stinging nettles plenty of times, this was much different.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #8  
A weed reaction would be my guess. Jimson weed is poison, as well as queen annes lace. Maybe giant hogweed? If the skin lesions re occur when exposed to UV light (sunlight) this could be it.

/ Mowed fields all day, ended up at emergency clinic #10  
For sure - NOT poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac. I have scars on my arms from a bout with poison Oak that happened 70 years ago.

But, something sure set off your immune system.

I mowed my uber dry one acre pasture and got red welts on my forearms. Hot shower - Calamine lotion - gone in 24 hours.