Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle!

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Normally, it's 21 times for the year but it just keeps raining.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #2  
Still got a good 3 months left of mowing. IF not more.

I mow once every 8 days. Work a 4-on 4-off schedule. And mow on my first day off weather permitting.

Not sure when I did the first mowing this year, but guessing Im up to ~12 mowings.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #3  
My old mower has broken down twice so far and my BIL gave me a mower and now it is broke down. The grass just keeps growing fast and thick. Luckily my brush hog is still going strong.

Last year we had a drought and only mowed 3 times.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #4  
Getting too much seat-time this year mowing! I have lost track how many times so far.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #5  
Being a wet year.....dont bother me for mowing. AS mentioned, I mow once every 8 days anyway, and vary cut height accordingly so I can maintain a decent speed.

But the wet year has make gardening a bit difficult this year.

This is the second year living where I am at and having a big garden here. Last year....WAY too dry for way too long.

This year.....WAY too wet for way too long. And not enough HOT days. Potatoes died off young and never got much size. Dug them yesterday cause they were starting to rot in the ground. Corn is looking sad. Too many 50-60 degree nights in june + too much water. My small garden up by the house....got some kind of fungus or something and cucumbers, tomatoes, and green peppers were dying. Got some spray, but I think I was too late and you would have though I sprayed roundup on them. Deader than a door nail now.

Mom and dads garden right next door, zucchini had about 1 picking then they all died off. Cucumbers are done for now but did produce very well from mid june up til about a week ago.

My onions are thriving though. Got some softball sized ones and still looking pretty healthy.

This dang ohio weather. Wasnt a good gardening year at all.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #6  
That's crazy mowing so much. Never realized y'all would have to do that. It was a wet spring but dry summer. I think I've mowed my place 2-3 times. Mowed the 23 acres place 3 times I think and it's needing it now, starting to get stressed with the dry weather

Brett

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #7  
Normally, it's 21 times for the year but it just keeps raining.

That's a lot for sure. I put about 500 pounds of Urea on my lawn (a little over an acre) back the first week of May because it was so weedy. I've watered a lot and we have had some good intermittent rains, including all night last night. I have to mow about 5 or 6 times a month, so I can relate. It looks really good, though! My tomatoes have done well, but have the same problem with cucumbers that we had last year. Some sort of wilt has killed them. Have some Purple Hulls growing like Gang Busters and starting to bloom, if I can keep the aphids and deer at bay.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle!
I'm the OP on this and we used to live in middle-northern Maine where people weren't so concerned about grass. Any green was good and long, ragged grass was just fine. We mowed about seven times a year because of the short season and nobody gave much of a thought to scraggly grass.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle! #9  
I'm the OP on this and we used to live in middle-northern Maine where people weren't so concerned about grass. Any green was good and long, ragged grass was just fine. We mowed about seven times a year because of the short season and nobody gave much of a thought to scraggly grass.

Are you talking lawn or fields?
I'm in northern N.H. and while you're right about people not being fanatical about lawns ("north country green" as my wife calls it...as long as it's green it's good), but I still need to mow every 5 days or so, maybe a little more often in May & June. It grows so fast I'd have a hayfield if I didn't, and it's so thick it plugs the mower chute if I let it go too long, or try to mow it wet. A bit deceiving from a distance since everything grows at about the same rate so it doesn't get scraggly.

Got a few acres of fields I bush-hog twice a year...late June and Sept.

But the wet year has make gardening a bit difficult this year.
This year.....WAY too wet for way too long. And not enough HOT days. Potatoes died off young and never got much size. Dug them yesterday cause they were starting to rot in the ground. Corn is looking sad. Too many 50-60 degree nights in june + too much water. My small garden up by the house....got some kind of fungus or something and cucumbers, tomatoes, and green peppers were dying. Got some spray, but I think I was too late and you would have though I sprayed roundup on them. Deader than a door nail now.

Mom and dads garden right next door, zucchini had about 1 picking then they all died off. Cucumbers are done for now but did produce very well from mid june up til about a week ago.

My onions are thriving though. Got some softball sized ones and still looking pretty healthy..

Been a GREAT garden year here. Granted, growing season here doesn't really start until about Memorial day, and a lot of what I've planted won't be ready for another month, but everything is looking very good, corn looks like it's a week-10 days early, we'll see, ditto for tomatoes. Cukes just starting to produce. Bumper crop of lettuce, dill, beets & carrots.
Raspberries & blueberries doing well, too early to tell for blackberries.

Can't grow peppers or onions here. Season too short for peppers, and for some reason onions don't form bulbs.
Lots of leaves but no onion. Radishes do the same thing.

Wife's flower gardens have been incredible this year too.

/ Mowed 28 times so far this year. Uncle!
Are you talking lawn or fields?
I'm in northern N.H. and while you're right about people not being fanatical about lawns ("north country green" as my wife calls it...as long as it's green it's good), but I still need to mow every 5 days or so, maybe a little more often in May & June. It grows so fast I'd have a hayfield if I didn't, and it's so thick it plugs the mower chute if I let it go too long, or try to mow it wet. A bit deceiving from a distance since everything grows at about the same rate so it doesn't get scraggly.

Got a few acres of fields I bush-hog twice a year...late June and Sept.

Been a GREAT garden year here. Granted, growing season here doesn't really start until about Memorial day, and a lot of what I've planted won't be ready for another month, but everything is looking very good, corn looks like it's a week-10 days early, we'll see, ditto for tomatoes. Cukes just starting to produce. Bumper crop of lettuce, dill, beets & carrots.
Raspberries & blueberries doing well, too early to tell for blackberries.

Can't grow peppers or onions here. Season too short for peppers, and for some reason onions don't form bulbs.
Lots of leaves but no onion. Radishes do the same thing.

Wife's flower gardens have been incredible this year too.

That was the "lawn" and sometimes it was mowed with a pull-type mower at maybe 4 inches and sometimes a bush hog type thing. Any green was good and it not much for fertilizer. Any "grass" was timothy or by accident. Maybe New Hampshire is more lawn civilized than the ultra rural part of Maine.

You should be able to grow peppers and onions there. Start the peppers inside, hardy them up a few weeks, add a little fertilizer to start and more as the fruit sets. We grew boatloads of them. Same with onions in that they love fertilizer. We grew huge onions. Don't water the garden beyond the first few days.

For New England, I'm presuming you keep the weeds down in the garden, fall plow and plow in as much crop residue as you can. Spring plowing also good if you can settle the ground back down before planting. Lime the soil in the fall as well and you might need a soil test for that for PH.