Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields?

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I'm taking over maintenance of 40 acres of crp fields that need to be kept brush free. I'm debating on buying a larger chopper for my Kubota L6060, or a sprayer, but am looking for recommendations. I currently have a 6' chopper and was looking at a Rhino 10' batwing. But they are a large investment and in my research I came across some guys opinion that spraying would be a better route. Thoughts?

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #2  
Here in Michigan (at least), you cannot legally mow any CRP set aside except once yearly. Better check with your local extension agent first.

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields?
Here in Michigan (at least), you cannot legally mow any CRP set aside except once yearly. Better check with your local extension agent first.
SW Michigan here. You're correct, this is a once annual mowing or spraying contract.

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #4  
Cannot offer any advice on what is more efficient but if the goal of the CRP program is wildlife habitat I'd go with mowing over herbicides.

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields?
Cannot offer any advice on what is more efficient but if the goal of the CRP program is wildlife habitat I'd go with mowing over herbicides.
It is for bird nesting habitat - good point.

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #6  
Can you wrap a chain around the trunk and rip it out? I've won a war against "Tree of Heaven" (from He11) but it took 5 years of spraying...

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #7  
Not familiar with how CRP works but do you have to keep the brush and trees from growing to maintain farm field status? If not wouldn’t the brush be beneficial for birds?

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #9  
I find spraying is more effective on one weed than another or one weed comes back quicker. Resulting in a dominant weed infestation. I vote for mowing

/ Mow or spray to keep brush out of CRP fields? #10  
I find it a bit perplexing that spraying herbicide is even allowed in a bird nesting habitat. Kind of goes against what the intention is...? Or am I missing something here....