Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Moving snow...A success Story

/ Moving snow...A success Story #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I have to share my morning with the forum. For once I think I did something right.

First, after an hour or so dinking around with a cold engine and an inadequate battery, I replaced the Walmart brand lawn and garden battery that came with the tractor (225 CCA) with the best one I could find at the local auto parts store (850 CCA). Yeah...that made a difference. I had to "modify" the sheet metal a bit to get it to fit, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Then, I started the process of learning to move snow. I didn't have the box blade on the back, and since I had wasted so much time with the battery, etc. I decided to just see what I could do with the loader. (I did have the tiller on for a counter weight.)

With a combination of back dragging and pushing with the FEL, I cleaned everything up pretty good. At first I was picking up a lot of dirt and rocks, but with a little practice I got to where I could keep the bucket at the right tilt and elevation so that I got only snow, and left only driveway.

I was having so much fun that I plowed out my neighboor on either side, and then did a few more families in the area that I try to look out for. I had breakfast at noon.

I found that my bucket is exactly the same width as the sidewalks in the city where I live. My street has the cleanest sidewalks in the whole city now.

I had one problem. The sidewalks are a little old in places, and there are sections that have separated so one edge is a half inch lower than the next. (You see what's coming, don't you.) I was moving along being so proud of myself for my snow plowing prowess when the bucket caught one of these edges. I was only in first gear, high range, but I stopped so fast that I was knocked forward in the seat far enough that my knee hit the throttle.

The sudden jolt, rythmic rocking from my tires slipping on the wet concrete, and sudden decrease in rpm's all happened at the same time. I was pretty sure the world had ended. I gathered my composure, checked my shorts, and looked everything over. It all checked out, but I'll have to watch for these spots a little better.

All-in-all I consider it a good morning. Now... off to hang some christmas lights.

/ Moving snow...A success Story #2  
I'm glad you had a good time!

I dunno why...but I just love plowing snow! No matter how much it's blowing...and how miserable it is...just love it!

There is a bit of a learning curve, as you found out... It'll go easier next time.

You may decide a rear grader blade is an easier way to move snow...if you have enough plowing to do to justify the cost (or, buy a used one real cheap like I did).

I do hope we both get a lot of practice this year!

/ Moving snow...A success Story #3  
Good experience, thanks for sharing. How much snow did you get? We were supposed to get 1-18" and ended up at the low side of that. It's pretty well melted now although we do have a couple of snowmen in the yard. And yes, those sidewalk shifts can be fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving snow...A success Story
We got about 4 inches. We're supposed to get snow all week this week and about half of next week. I wouldn't mind getting dumped on this year.

/ Moving snow...A success Story #5  
Rob,

You said </font><font color="blue" class="small">( We were supposed to get 1-18" and ended up at the low side of that. )</font>

Sounds like your weather man takes the high road! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving snow...A success Story #6  
Yeah, we're in a tough area to forecast snow. A lake effect band may drop tons of snow on an area only a couple of miles wide. Outside of that, you may not get any. They attributed this recent error on the winds across Lake Michigan being too strong. The air wasn't over the water long enough to pick up enough moisture. It makes sense, but sure seems they could have predicted the winds better.

I prefer the old days where they said we'll get some snow, maybe six inches and we'd wake up to a foot or more. Less precise but more fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving snow...A success Story #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I prefer the old days where they said we'll get some snow, maybe six inches and we'd wake up to a foot or more. Less precise but more fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Don't be too sure of that, the year I got out of the Navy, every time they predicted snow flurrys we got 20". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Moving snow...A success Story #8  
I live in Baltimore, Maryland now, but am from Detroit. Actually a place called Flat Rock or Brownstown Towship. It's 11 miles souht of Detroit. I thought the forecasts were pretty good, especially compared to Baltimore. They refer to snow as the "White Death". If the weatherman predicts 1/2" of snow, all the grocery stores sell out of toilet paper, Milk and bread. It's like they plan on sitting on the crapper for three days eating bread and drinking milk.

Don't even get me started on their driving skills in snow. They are non-existant.

Tim

/ Moving snow...A success Story #9  
Just so you don't feel homesick. Yesterday was first workday snowfall of the year in Detroit area. Most everybody was late for work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Must have been caused by all the Baltimore transplants. That did not adjusted to good weather reports and leave for work early. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving snow...A success Story #10  
Snow story here.
Yesterday we had a nice 3-4" of snow, and I am in the middle of bucking and splitting firewood, so didn't want to spend the 15 minutes to change out the FEL for the front mount Western blade. So I decided to just "plow it with the bucket". The first run down the drive made a nice clean path just wide enough for the tractor tires to follow. Then the frustration began. Like it was taking forever. I messed around on the 1/4 mile stretch of drive and road, my wife made it out with her van, and after the better part of an hour, I headed for the shed to drop the FEL and put on the plow.
Wow! what a difference. Cleaned everything up quickly and without wearing out the arm running the stick to flip the bucket - up - down - dump - set - float- whoops too deep, repeat, repeat, repeat.

It was worth a try, but next time I won't hestitate to switch out the bucket for the plow. Takes very little time, but I guess it was just the idea that I wasn't ready for changing over to snow removal just yet. GotRdun, now back to wood splittin.