Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #21  
Didn't read every single post, but I'm dumb founded at the milage compared to the older Vortec 6000. My 6.0 2500HD 4x4, extended cab, got all of 12 mpg, highway, empty. Son's 1500HD crew cab 2wd gets about 11 mph, empty, and mostly highway. If these new 2500s are getting 15 MPG, that's fantastic.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #22  
In 2022 I bought a new F350 CCSB with the 7.3L gas motor and Tremor package (2in lift & 35in tires from the factory), SRW, 10 speed transmission, 4:30 rear end ratio, 3850lbs payload. Special ordered it and flew halfway across the country to get it for a decent price in this crazy economy, sticker $78K paid $69K. It gets about 14mpg empty.

This truck does everything for our family, tows a 14K equipment trailer, hauls materials to/from the farm, commutes to work, with the bed cover it's great for throwing all the luggage in the bed for family trips, great for off-roading, and takes my kid to daycare. My buying philosophy is "buy new and hold" and I keep vehicles for 20 years. I have no interest in owning a modern emissions diesel out-of-warranty. Plus, my commute to work is 5 miles, not long enough to even warm up a diesel. Gas fits my lifestyle better.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #23  
Didn't read every single post, but I'm dumb founded at the milage compared to the older Vortec 6000. My 6.0 2500HD 4x4, extended cab, got all of 12 mpg, highway, empty. Son's 1500HD crew cab 2wd gets about 11 mph, empty, and mostly highway. If these new 2500s are getting 15 MPG, that's fantastic.
My 2000 Chevy 6.0 4x4 single cab would get 14 on trips running empty at 60 mph or less where as my 2020 exceeds that by a bunch.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #24  
Around this time last year I totaled my RAM half-ton, a truck that I had spent months looking for. I wasn't about to find a replacement at an affordable price; well, not locally anyhow. So I just started watching for potential values, and just stumbled on my F350. I was on a Ford lot, jokingly looked at the truck, and the more I looked the more appealing it became. Then the kids fell for it; it's huge to them, like an overgrown Tonka truck. That was the final nail in my checkbooks coffin. 🤣

Anyhow, moving from a half-ton 2018 RAM 5.7 to a 2019 1 ton Ford 6.2 was just as I expected. I went from averaging 16-18 mpg in a truck that felt like it up and moved, to an 11 mpg slug that could pull my house over. I love it, and find it a blast to drive because it's ridiculous. This Super Duty reminds me of the old land barges I used to enjoy, but the truck is actually a better ride in every way.

Snapchat-29343275.jpg 20221019_121035.jpg

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #25  
In the early 2010's I had a lawn service. I pulled an enclosed stock trailer with mowers etc. weighed about 6,000# give or take. I pulled it in town 99% of the time. I started out with an F-150 that was a bit underpowered. I upgraded to an F-250, granted a diesel, but it was a huge improvement. I was expecting the power to be the biggest difference but it was not. I could immediately tell how much less stress the front end was taking navigating neighborhood turns. My 1/2 ton would almost growl when slowing down taking sharper turns, 3/4 ton was just like turning empty. Brakes were also a HUGE improvement. Where my 1/2 ton would wonder, float, and bounce, the 3/4 ton just drove. It was a night and day difference. I didn't even realize most of the issues above with the half ton but I noticed it missing with the 3/4 ton.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #26  
Just returned from a 600 mile round-trip moving my daughter to college with my 2004 new to me 3/4 Chevy Duramax with 218k miles. I bought it for $12.5k a little over a month ago. It worked just fine for me, has the 5 speed Allison in it, been well kept. Got the LLY Duramax, just gonna keep it serviced and making sure none of the overheating issues arise etc.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #27  
That's what is holding me up. A lot of these HD trucks, such as the 2021 Silverado 2500/3500, do not have better gearing. In fact, the gearing on my Ram 1500 is significantly deeper. It's mostly all in the transmission.

Engine horsepower is identical. The HD does have a slight bit more torque output, but it's in a truck that also weighs 1500 lbs. more so it's probably a wash.

Like I said in the first post, steering/stability may be better but performance will not. It's got me scratching my head.
Awe heck,

I thought you were looking for a truck! :rolleyes: 😁

The brakes, suspension, steering components will all be bigger on the HD trucks.

Hp is for car magazines.

Torque is for pulling trailers and sh*t.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #28  
The neighbor that has a fleet of trucks (excavating business) still run many with the 6.0 gas engines. The trucks are heavy with tools and equipment and tow skids etc all the time.
Those 6 liters were bullet proof - many go past 300,000 miles. My 2010 has 276,000 and still has power. Hard on gas sometimes but the payment is right

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #29  
I got a brand new 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon in Dec of 2018. It's got the 6.4 liter engine with 4.10 rear end. It just turned 30K miles - averages 16 mpg. It's know as the Taco Wagon. It's my fun machine.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #30  
I use a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor with 4:10 gears it pulls everything I hook it to, I pull a 30' gooseneck trailer with a large cabbed farm tractor and I also pull a 20' bumper pull equipment trailer 3 to 4 days a week with my skid steer and forestry mower, it doesn't get great fuel mileage loaded but I don't have all the modern diesel problems either.The 2500 that you are looking at will handle a real load far better than your 1500 Ram.
I have a modern diesel truck and don’t have any modern diesel problems, either. :)