Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #1  

MarkGrabb

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1759
Hello All,

I have a Massey Fergusson 1759 with a bucket loader. We have started buying chicken feed in bulk, and I would like to move up to 2,000 pounds of feed in a tote on a pallet from the back of my F350 (1965 with staked tailgate easily removed). The back of the truck is 42 inches off the ground. I am trying to determine from the tractor specification if my tractor can handle 2,000 pounds with the front loader and what attachment would be best for the job. I have a skid steer adapter that holds my DL 130 bucket. Any and all insights will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #2  
   / Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #3  
Tractordata says the loader has a breakout force at 800mm of 2860 lbs and lift at full height at 800mm of 1760 lbs. Breakout force is what the loader can lift from the ground (actually slightly below it for many loaders). The higher the lift the less weight capacity.

The farther out the center of gravity of the load, the less you can lift. That's why the breakout force at 0mm distance is much higher (4100 lbs).

800mm is about 31.5 inches, which is close to the center of a 48" pallet if you account for the distance from the pins to the pallet. The SSQA takes up some space as does the pallet fork assembly. You need to account for the weight of the pallet forks. Mine are about 350 lbs. It's going to be close but I think it will do it.

Pallet forks are the attachement for this. You need skid steer forks. The ones that clamp onto the bucket won't work as the load will be too far out.

You're going to need a heavy counter weight on the back for stability. Keep that load as low as it'll go without scraping when moving it and go slow, especially in turns. Do your unloading off the trailer on level ground.

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759
Many thanks @Carl_NH and @ericm979. I really appreciate the advice and insights. I don't mind hand carrying ten loads of 50-pounds each... to reduce the feed in the tote to near 1500 pounds... then I can take it down from there with pallet forks (I see a pair of Titans rated to 4000 pounds... so the forks won't be the weak point).. and I will still use all the guidance you provided. Many thanks!

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #6  
Mark - I think your idea - offloading 500# by hand is wise. At least, for the first load. This will make the load do-able. Give you an idea of how 1500# feels.

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #7  
I think the Titan forks will do well. I picked up a set for my tractor and they're rated for more than the loader is.

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #8  
Like other have said lifting capacity is measured at the pins. If you can curl the tote back over the loader without spilling the contents it will help with lifting capacity. I have had to do this occasionally when I hit loader capacity. It is amazing how moving the load just a few inches towards the back of the tractor can affect lifting capacity.

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #9  
Tractordata That's why the breakout force at 0mm distance is much higher (4100 lbs).

g off the trailer on level ground.
I agree except this little part. That 4,100 lb number is listed as “breakout force bucket”, which I believe it measured at the bucket tip , and allows the tilt/curling circuit to leverage the lowest area of the bucket against the ground.
… Or I could be mistaken

/ Moving 2,000-pound feed tote on a pallet with Massey 1759 #10  
Like other have said lifting capacity is measured at the pins. If you can curl the tote back over the loader without spilling the contents it will help with lifting capacity. I have had to do this occasionally when I hit loader capacity. It is amazing how moving the load just a few inches towards the back of the tractor can affect lifting capacity.

A few inches really does matter. I regularly move IBC totes full of hardwood firewood. They're about 2000lbs when the wood is green. If I don't slide the forks all the way in, the loader may fail to pick them up. When this happens the relief valve trips and the loader just doesn't move.

With my loader it's often curl that fails to operate when the load is heavy and a ways from the pins, for example one of those totes or a large log in the grapple. I have ended up carrying logs with the grapple facing down because the loader wouldn't curl it up.

I have a set of Titan (palletforks.com) adjustable width forks and they have been fine for my homeowner use. I don't think I would get fixed width forks.