Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It?

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #21  
Interesting. Never heard of mouth taping, but being the rare skinny guy who snores, my family would probably appreciate if I did!

One of my best childhood friends had sleep apnea, and passed away around age 40 due to some complication related to it. We'd lost touch, I don't know the details, but I believe it was made much worse by him getting a bit overweight as an adult.

Another friend from high school had the more amusing variety, or so we thought, he'd just wake himself up all night long. We used to have all sorts of fun at his expense, as a result of it. Unfortunately, the severe sleep deprivation caused him to fall asleep while driving home from school one day, causing a very serious car accident which almost killed him.

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It?
Here is an interesting video from an ENT Doctor:

Last edited:
   / Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #23  
When the electric goes out I wake up real quick with no pressure.
Plug your CPAP into an uninterrupted power supply (UPS).
Check the watts, be sure to buy one large enough.

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #24  
I thought about taping my mouth shut a while back, but with a mustache and beard, I don't think that will work. Also thought about a chin strap, but haven't seen one I like.
I keep an no-spill insulated cup full of ice water on the night stand, and when I wake up with a dry mouth, I take a quick sip and go right back to sleep.
My house guest says I don't snore as much as before I recently lost about 40 pounds, so that's good.

I thought about taping my mouth shut a while back, but with a mustache and beard, I don't think that will work
It will work. At least it works with my mustache and beard.

The roll of tape is one inch wide. Now I cut a piece 1/2 inch long, put it centered on my upper lip just under the mustache. It goes down 1/2 inch covering my lower lip.

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #26  
I start the night breathing thru my nose. By morning I'm breathing thru my mouth. My nose gets plugged and mouth breathing becomes critical.

Both Brownie and I occasionally snore. So far - it's not a problem for either of us.

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #27  
Over the years, I've found that putting the wife's thong around my head with the elastic band going under my jaw and up over my forehead is an awesome compromise. Plus, she agrees that it's a potentially life saving move on her part. She get's something out of it too: a good, sound, deep sleep.

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #28  
Over the years, I've found that putting the wife's thong around my head with the elastic band going under my jaw and up over my forehead is an awesome compromise. Plus, she agrees that it's a potentially life saving move on her part. She get's something out of it too: a good, sound, deep sleep.
I think we're going to need some pictures, to follow this description. I wouldn't want to get it wrong, you know...

/ Mouth Taping, Anyone Else Doing It? #29  
Is she still in the thong? Just asking for clarification. Jon

I thought about taping my mouth shut a while back, but with a mustache and beard, I don't think that will work.
It will work. At least it works with my mustache and beard.

The roll of tape is one inch wide. Now I cut a piece 1/2 inch long, put it centered on my upper lip just under the mustache. It goes down 1/2 inch covering my lower lip.
Last night I took a picture of my mouth taped, ready for bed:

20231020_234033(0).jpg

This morning's picture of the tape after I took it off:

20231021_080938.jpg
I didn't get a straight cut off of the roll. Left side measured 1/2 inch. Right side 5/8.

3/8 straight across is the minimum that works for me.

Last edited: