Mouse's Worst Nightmare

/ Mouse's Worst Nightmare #2  
I have never seen or heard of an Eagle Owl until your post. There are so many species of owls. I was aware that they remain at the top of the birds of prey list. They have superb eyesight, possess great speed and have the beak and talons that are perfectly matched in capturing elusive prey. I think that several species of owls are listed as endangered now. I, for one, do not spot or see them as frequently as I used to. We used to have a Great Horned Owl that stayed around our barns when I was young. The last one that I have seen was about 6 years ago here in NC. There are plenty of hawks around but no owls. One morning this past spring, my wife spotted a hawk on our back deck. All birds of prey are magnificent. Thanks for the post.:thumbsup:

/ Mouse's Worst Nightmare #3  
Sure looks like a flying dog at first.

Bruce

/ Mouse's Worst Nightmare #4  
Pretty neat. I have some that hang around here. They don't go after my chicken's, but they stay close to the coop. I think they are going after the squirrels and mice that the chicken feed attracts. Some times the owls get to calling each other. I wonder if the word "hootenanny" comes from that. They get pretty noisy.

/ Mouse's Worst Nightmare #5  
I see owls here and down in NE NC as well, many in th daytime. The other day I saw an eagle a couple of days ago swoop down, grab a possum that was dead in the road for 2-3 days, and fly him into a tall tree, entrails dangling behind! :D

/ Mouse's Worst Nightmare #6  
I hit an owl last winter with the car at night coming home from work. A few days later almost hit another one. Was told they will swoop down at the headlights.