Mouse proofing garage door gaskets

/ Mouse proofing garage door gaskets #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
We built a poured concrete home and we were mouse free for several years. Then, the mice began chewing through the garage door rubber gaskets. We have 3 garage doors, one on a walk out basement for my shop. I looked at the shop door and gasket and found the gasket attached via a tract on the underside of the steel door. The door rested about 5/8 inch about the concrete floor when closed. So I ripped a 3/4 x 5/8 inch oak stick. I then screwed it on the underside of the door, flush with the outside edge. The soft gasket pushed back out of the way. Mouse issue solved....

A week ago, I noticed the same thing on my garage doors where our cars are kept. The gasket was completely different. It has a hard backer that abuts the door bottom. The oak stick wasn't going to work. I needed a pc of aluminum angle. I found some hang ceiling wall ends, 1 x 1 angle. I cut one leg to 3/4 inch. Then slide the 1 inch leg between the steel door bottom and the hard plastic backer. The metal can be up off the concrete a bit. Otherwise the gasket might not seal or the door will come back up.

I left the chewed rubber for the photo. No more mice!

IMG_0073.jpg