Mounting tire chains

/ Mounting tire chains #11  
When I had a smaller tractor - some years I would mount my big, 'ol, nasty & heavy V- bar tractor chains. I always jacked up the tire and pulled, grunted and swore like a pirate getting them on - getting them straight - getting them reasonably tight.

It was always easier in the warm wx - but then the tractor acted like a ballerina with mukluks on - until we got at least 6" to 8" of snow.

God only knows - am I ever glad I now have a bigger tractor - no longer need chains - sold both sets(front & rear) of those nasty V-bars.

/ Mounting tire chains #12  
That looks like a very good idea. I just wrestled my chains on the other day. They must weigh 80 lbs. each. I might make one small mod to your approach by attaching two small hooks to the end of the rope you make it easier to attach/detach the chain ends without having to tie/untie. Also, instead of driving I always jack up one wheel and then turn the tire by hand.

I am anxious to try your method. Thank you for sharing.

/ Mounting tire chains #13  
I've always put them on the old fashioned way, draping them over the tires and using a lot of 4 letter words to convince them to get lined up. I would have bought a set of ice chains last year but my 'bota came with a set of H-chains which work OK.
Everything Attachments has the best prices on wheel weights that I have found but as you say it still comes in at a buck a pound... and minimum order of 1000 lbs.

I used to do that with my old Ford 9N because the tires were completely exposed. But on the newer JD CUT they have the fenders so close to the tire that there really isn't room to simply throw the chains over the tire. Instead you have to feed them on either from the front or back to avoid snagging the fender.

/ Mounting tire chains #14  
Thanks a million I was getting tired of wrestling my chains with a jack a prybar. I'm almost looking forward to next year!

The first storm left 22 inches, I had an emergency session with the winterizing the Kioti!

Phil souffleur martin kioti.jpgP1010902.jpg

/ Mounting tire chains #15  
This is the technique I have used a long time as well. It makes installing large chains very easy. I first saw it back in the sixties when my dad did it on his car. But at that time they sold some heavy wire half hoops (not a very good description) that had a hook on each side that you hooked the chains into, then you could kind of spread the half hoop and it would clamp itself to the tire. Then drive forward and Voila your chain climbs around the tire and up the backside to any position you want for the final adjustment.

I've looked and never seen any of those hoops since back then, maybe time for a new/old invention. Thanks for taking photos and posting this helpful technique.

/ Mounting tire chains #16  
There's a company that sells a bar that mounts to the wheel with hooks on it. As far as I know they only make it for semi trucks, not tractors, but if you watch the video you would wonder why someone doesn't make it for tractors.

/ Mounting tire chains #18  
I've always put them on the old fashioned way, draping them over the tires and using a lot of 4 letter words to convince them to get lined up.

Yeah, no kidding.
I don't think there IS an easy way to put chains on a tractor. I usually just lay them out on the ground and back over them so the tire is more or less centered then just work 'em up over the lugs on both sides.
4 letter words? What are they? :D

/ Mounting tire chains #19  
Good timing for me on this. Definitely going to try it.

I just tried to put a set of chains on my 2538, jacked p the rear end and had easy access to the wheels. Over an hour into it and more 4 letter words than I can remember and no luck.

/ Mounting tire chains
Nice videos, I like to pull using the outer side chains I find that more of the slack falls out of them easier that way,
I also tie to the spare link ends of the side chains a couple of links back from my fastening link.
After I fasten my center links with the latches hang free I find it easy to hook up the side chains with the hook end free.
I don't enjoy putting chains on but I can have on and latched in under 15 minutes per chain once I have them laid out,
I don't figure that's to bad for an over weight 67 year old.