Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #1  

Darryle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
I am in the market for a finish mower. I thought I wanted a Frontier, but after looking at what I was told a lightly used one with a cracked deck, I am looking at other options.

Who makes a well designed, low maintenance, reliable and durable 5' or 6' grooming/finish mower? Preferably made in the USA.

Thanks!

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #2  
Frontier finish mowers are made by many manufactures. The Frontier I have is a Woods PRD6000. Heavy and built extremely tough. Exact mower but painted green. Has Woods embossed on gearbox. It is not quick hitch compatable though. Excellent in high grass also. Woods PRD series mowers are expensive but hard to beat. Woods RD series is a lighter model but still very durable. Land Pride FDR16 and FDR25 also great finish mowers. Last on my list would be Bush Hog HDTH series. All easy to find belts and blades outside of dealer.

I also own a Befco Cyclone I think was made in Italy that has been in use every year since it's purchase in 1987. Other than blades and belts only a gear box seal and bushings in all wheels replaced. Deck is still solid. No Befco dealers around me anymore and I have no idea how the new ones are built.

Make sure whatever you buy is rear discharge.

Last edited:
   / Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #3  
You can look at Betsco, they are Chinese mowers, but built very heavy. Betsco stocks parts in a USA warehouse. I purchased a 72" last year, cuts field grass very good. My neighbor was impressed and purchased a 60" finish. At the cost, you could buy two! I have abused the 72" mower cutting 5 acres of rough fields and no problems so far. Will it last 10 years? I don't know. If it lasts for 5 years doing what I cut, I would be happy and probably buy another.
Here is a link...
FH-FM Finish Mower | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #4  
I made a mistake buying an off brand finish mower several years ago. Within 2 seasons 2 spindles went out. This was with weekly greasing. Just the force from the belt tensioner caused a spindle to tilt in the deck resulting in an uneven cut. Had to straighten the top deck where the spindle mounts and reinforce. Start of the third season the remaining original spindle went out. At that point junked the mower. Over $1200 wasted.

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #5  
I've owned a First Choice mower ( made by Sicma, in Italy. Same mower as the Phoenix mowers) for the past 15 or 18 years.
Been a very good mower.

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #8  
I've owned a First Choice mower ( made by Sicma, in Italy. Same mower as the Phoenix mowers) for the past 15 or 18 years.
Been a very good mower.

+1 on the Sicma. Had mine for 10 to 15 years. worn out 2 sets of blades and one spindle bearing. It has taken a lot more abuse than you would expect of a finish mower.

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower #9  
I have only used one and that is a Bush Hog. 72 inch side discharge. Had never seen a rear discharge when I bought mine and still here rear discharge not very common. There are those who run theirs more than I have but had to replace one spindle and dealer said you are not greasing it near enough. With spindle apart he showed me how large the area inside it was to hold grease. MAN it holds a lot of grease! My suggestion is to check out the wheels and the type of bearings the mower runs on. The one area on my Bush hog that disappoints me is that. Have spent more on the wheels and than anything but blades. I do get good service out of the Bush Hog blade.

/ Most reliable/durable 3pt finish/grooming mower
The Phoenix that EA sells is made by Sicma? What about the Farmtrac brand they sell?