More plow talk.....

/ More plow talk..... #1  

HCJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 4WD
Just bought a Ford 101 three bottom plow for $375. Has lots of wear, so I plan to restore it. I have three questions for you plow experts.

First, I am having trouble finding landsides. The rear is 21 " with 5 holes and the other two are 16" with 3 holes. If I don't replace these, my frog is going to wear. Has anyone found these? I understand Crescent Forge is not in business.

Also need a rear rolling landside, just the "dish" (a 13" diameter with 4 holes spaced 2.5"). My hub and assembly are o.k.

And what do you use for shear pins. I assume Grade 8 5/16 bolts. Is this correct? I popped two today the first time I used it on rocky soil. Any tips here?

Lastly, do I paint it original Ford blue, or go with Kubota orange??

Thanks for the previous advice on plows. I hate to keep bugging everyone.

/ More plow talk..... #2  
Again, try Valu-Bilt for the landslides. Tailwheel may be an issue. You MIGHT have to resort to buying used. (Junk plow as a donor?)

Grade 8 bolts are TOO stout. They most likely won't shear. Use grade 3. Yours sheared because they're supposed to in really rocky soil. Use grade 8 and you'll bend the plow instead of shearing a bolt.

/ More plow talk.....
Again, try Valu-Bilt for the landslides. Tailwheel may be an issue. You MIGHT have to resort to buying used. (Junk plow as a donor?)

Grade 8 bolts are TOO stout. They most likely won't shear. Use grade 3. Yours sheared because they're supposed to in really rocky soil. Use grade 8 and you'll bend the plow instead of shearing a bolt.

Thanks for your reply. I tried Valu-bilt last week, and ordered shins and shares, but they say that these landsides are no longer available. I have several feelers out to other sources that have been listed in past forums, but have not heard anything yet. I will try again Mon.

I heard that Crescent Forge at one time was a good source, but am hearing rumors that they are no longer in business. I will try again.

I spent all day breaking down this 101 three bottom. The landsides are really bad, to the point that the frogs are worn to the bolt hole in the front. I may have to weld up a "scab" on the bottom inside of the frog to add some support. I left all of the frame bolts in place. I was tempted to replace all of these, but really was not necessary. Sometimes I can get carried away. I did remove each bottom to better access the many bolts. That was a chore to remove all of these! Man, were they fused in place. Most of them I cut out with a sidegrinder, and it took many hours. I also plan to re-tap all adjustable parts and add new bolts or nuts to ease future adjustments. Tomorrow, I am going to sandblast everything and prime it. Still trying to decide Ford blue or Kubota orange.

One more question, does the rear rolling landside really do that much? Would I be able to plow just as effectively without it? I am not entering any plow contests, just want a good functional plow for occasional use.

Hopefully, this will go back together easily and be like new. I hope that I will not have to fabricate landsides.

I will post before and after pix when I am finished.

/ More plow talk..... #4  
Thanks for your reply. I tried Valu-bilt last week, and ordered shins and shares, but they say that these landsides are no longer available. I have several feelers out to other sources that have been listed in past forums, but have not heard anything yet. I will try again Mon.

I heard that Crescent Forge at one time was a good source, but am hearing rumors that they are no longer in business. I will try again.

I spent all day breaking down this 101 three bottom. The landsides are really bad, to the point that the frogs are worn to the bolt hole in the front. I may have to weld up a "scab" on the bottom inside of the frog to add some support. I left all of the frame bolts in place. I was tempted to replace all of these, but really was not necessary. Sometimes I can get carried away. I did remove each bottom to better access the many bolts. That was a chore to remove all of these! Man, were they fused in place. Most of them I cut out with a sidegrinder, and it took many hours. I also plan to re-tap all adjustable parts and add new bolts or nuts to ease future adjustments. Tomorrow, I am going to sandblast everything and prime it. Still trying to decide Ford blue or Kubota orange.

One more question, does the rear rolling landside really do that much? Would I be able to plow just as effectively without it? I am not entering any plow contests, just want a good functional plow for occasional use.

Hopefully, this will go back together easily and be like new. I hope that I will not have to fabricate landsides.

I will post before and after pix when I am finished.

Cresent Forge is shut down. Been closed since Dec 8th. The owner is hoping to sell the operation, turn key, possibly later this week. (Per owner, on another website)

Valu-Bilt is a great source for plow parts, just don't expect brilliant operators when you call. :eek: I got the same answer a few years ago when I was looking for parts to a Massey Ferguson #66 plow. "Sorry, those aren't available any longer". 3 weeks later, I called again and got the parts I was looking for. Seems they were in the midst of inventory and didn't want to deal with me at the time of call #1. Just about every possible retail source buys their plow parts from one or two vendors. MOST will be "Herschell-Adams" products. They don't sell direct to the public, but I understand they still offer Ford 101 landslides. Surely SOMEONE will sell you a set! If you can't get the shorter ones, buy 3 rears and cut them down. (I've done that numerous times) 101's are still EXTREMELY popular and VERY common. I'd have a hard time believing parts are obsolete. By the way, have you tried a New Holland dealer? (Be prepared to break open your piggy bank should you get them there....JD has the rep of having the most expensive parts. Not sure why as long as NH is still in business.....wow!)

I've seen multitudes of plows without the rolling landslide. So long as the iron landslides are in GREAT shape, the wheel isn't THAT important. I've found them to be more valuable when plowing hard (dry) ground. Very doubtful you'll find one new.

And lastly, I'm the LAST person in the universe to critisize anyone for going overboard on a plow rebuild....;) Been known to go to extremes myself!

/ More plow talk..... #5  
Thanks again. I agree that it's hard to believe that 101 landsides are not available. I have tried all of the usual places, same answer, no longer available. Wengers, Weiss Industries, Massey, Deere, Herschel, Valu bilt, etc. I think I have found two finally at Swebros, a long and a short, so using these a patterns, I can more easily make one more. Hopefully they are the right thing. Our best future hope is the re-openning of Crescent Forge. Their past retail sales manager tells me that it's still in progress, with a deadline of 9-11 for the sale to go or not go. Seem all details are worked out except EPA issues. Another example of lawyers holding up progress!

My moldboards are getting sort of thin in the front, about 1/2 worn. I imagine my new shares and shins will be fairly "proud" being full thickness. I may bite the bullet and go ahead and replace the moldboards before I paint it, now that I've gone this far. What do you think? Would you put new ones on since the shares, shins, sides will be new, or is that a waste?

If I make a landside, what kind of steel? I was considering using a piece of rotary cutter blade, but I was told that most landsides are just regular steel. I thought I could drill the 3 holes, countersink, and spot weld the bolts in place to save from having to shape square shoulders that prevent spinning.
Can I drill steel as hard as a blade in a drill press? Never tried that.

/ More plow talk..... #6  
   / More plow talk.....
Good Evenin Harold,
Youve got some good help with FWJ ! The only reason Im posting is that when I redid a 2 btm Dearborn a few years back I ended going to Sweigard Brothers for parts.

Here is a link to that thread, they might be able to help you out !

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/104829-ferguson-plow-opinions.html

Good Luck !

Hello Scott, thanks. I read your "novel" about you plow restoration, as I sit here with busted knuckles and dirty hands from breaking down my plow as you did. I hope mine looks as good as yours turned out! How's it plowing now several years later?

I found (I think) two landsides from Sweigard. They first said none were available but he rummaged up two, an I need one more. It seems these things just don't exist anymore. I don't have them in hand but hopefully they are what I need. He even had a rear rolling landside (a bit pricey however). If you run across landsides for this Ford 110 plow or for the Economy plow (216) I would love to get a few more.

/ More plow talk..... #8  
Just bought a Ford 101 three bottom plow for $375. Has lots of wear, so I plan to restore it. I have three questions for you plow experts.

First, I am having trouble finding landsides. The rear is 21 " with 5 holes and the other two are 16" with 3 holes. If I don't replace these, my frog is going to wear. Has anyone found these? I understand Crescent Forge is not in business.

Also need a rear rolling landside, just the "dish" (a 13" diameter with 4 holes spaced 2.5"). My hub and assembly are o.k.

And what do you use for shear pins. I assume Grade 8 5/16 bolts. Is this correct? I popped two today the first time I used it on rocky soil. Any tips here?

Lastly, do I paint it original Ford blue, or go with Kubota orange??

Thanks for the previous advice on plows. I hate to keep bugging everyone.

Well, no wonder my email yesterday to Cresent Forge hasn't been answered. Too bad. I need a pair of #217 plowshares for my JD 2-14 plow. Value-bilt's website doesn't show them. What to do--what to do.

/ More plow talk..... #9  
Hello Scott, thanks. I read your "novel" about you plow restoration, as I sit here with busted knuckles and dirty hands from breaking down my plow as you did. I hope mine looks as good as yours turned out! How's it plowing now several years later?

Good Mornin Harold,
Other than plowing over my Uncle Daves corn patch I hate to say it, but I havent used it much ! A lot happened in the last couple of years, like layoffs and getting out of my trade after about 36 years or so, and I jsut havent had a chance to play with it as I thought I would. But the little I did do with it, it probablly just needed some fine tuning !

Good luck with yours and keep us updated ! :)

/ More plow talk..... #10  
Cresent Forge is shut down. Been closed since Dec 8th. The owner is hoping to sell the operation, turn key, possibly later this week. (Per owner, on another website)

Valu-Bilt is a great source for plow parts, just don't expect brilliant operators when you call. :eek: I got the same answer a few years ago when I was looking for parts to a Massey Ferguson #66 plow. "Sorry, those aren't available any longer". 3 weeks later, I called again and got the parts I was looking for. Seems they were in the midst of inventory and didn't want to deal with me at the time of call #1. Just about every possible retail source buys their plow parts from one or two vendors. MOST will be "Herschell-Adams" products. They don't sell direct to the public, but I understand they still offer Ford 101 landslides. Surely SOMEONE will sell you a set! If you can't get the shorter ones, buy 3 rears and cut them down. (I've done that numerous times) 101's are still EXTREMELY popular and VERY common. I'd have a hard time believing parts are obsolete. By the way, have you tried a New Holland dealer? (Be prepared to break open your piggy bank should you get them there....JD has the rep of having the most expensive parts. Not sure why as long as NH is still in business.....wow!)

I've seen multitudes of plows without the rolling landslide. So long as the iron landslides are in GREAT shape, the wheel isn't THAT important. I've found them to be more valuable when plowing hard (dry) ground. Very doubtful you'll find one new.

And lastly, I'm the LAST person in the universe to critisize anyone for going overboard on a plow rebuild....;) Been known to go to extremes myself!

Here is the follow-up email I received yesterday...:(

Obama痴 superior Pelosi has managed to close another American icon in business since 1902. I am negotiating with foreign entities regarding an asset sale of Crescent Forge. If you are interested in a prospectus please contact to discuss further. If a sale is consummated I will let you know which Asian county is now supreme in the traditional tillage business.

Regards

Bill

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2019 RoGator RG1100 Sprayer (A35465)
2019 RoGator...
2007 Ford Taurus Passenger Car, VIN # 1FAFP53U97A187024 (A33238)
2007 Ford Taurus...
2005 Ford F-550 Truck, VIN # 1FDAF56P85EC34557 (A36338)
2005 Ford F-550...
2021 John Deere 8R280 MFWD Tractor (A35780)
2021 John Deere...
Brush Rake Adapter for Loader (A34127)
Brush Rake Adapter...
Trail-Max T-16-UT Equipment Trailer, (A35430)
Trail-Max T-16-UT...